Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Dying while driving

Search this Thread

Old April 7th, 2017, 9:31 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dying while driving

My 1992 Chevy suburban 1500 dies while driving at any speed any engine temp and any rpm I can't seem to find any pattern as to when it dies there usually isn't puttering the tac just drops to nothing and all of the warnings light up I have changed the ignition switch, fuel relay, distributor control module, the distributor, the fuel filter, and the ecm. After I changed the ecm it went for about 1000 miles before dying again but sure enough it did. The check engine light comes on periodically but only stays on for five minutes before going away last time I had the codes checked it was an egr valve leak. I have dumped Tons of time and money into this truck and can't seem to fix it
​ any info is greatly appreciated.
Old April 10th, 2017, 10:11 AM
CF Beginner

Does it start right back up after it dies?

There is a pigtail wire that comes off the pos battery cable by the battery. AFAIK, it feeds the ECM ..but not sure on your year. Check the wire carefully. That might cause it to die suddenly. Otherwise, I wonder if it could be a fuel-pump plug where it goes to the tank ...corroded? Just throwing out idea here.
Old April 10th, 2017, 11:28 AM
CF Beginner

Default Yes

Yeah it starts right back up after it dies usually no problem till it dies again
Old August 3rd, 2018, 12:39 PM
CF Beginner

Default Same issue

My '97 Silverado 5.7l Vortec is having the same issue. I've replaced the fuel pump relay, but still randomly dies with no warning and no lights. Starts right back up. I'm thinking it's electrical, but where do I begin?