Engine ID...will it work? - Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Engine ID...will it work?

Old February 10th, 2018, 5:04 PM
CF Active Member

Default Engine ID...will it work?

Well here goes...I have not visited in a while but I have a few questions for the experts. My 96 1500 2wd has 355k on it and the little 305 is tired. I have found a ? rebuildable 350. It has the plastic timing chain cover on it so I'm assuming it's a Vortec. What I need to know is: How do I identify the engine to know exactly what it is and is it a workable fit for my truck. I know I'll have to flash the ECM and I plan on using a fresh set of aluminum heads , with a mild cam. ( to be determined ) .

Any input will be appreciated.

Regards,
JTM
Old February 10th, 2018, 5:10 PM
CF Monarch

Take a picture of it.
Old February 10th, 2018, 5:29 PM
CF Active Member

I can't provide a photo. I don't have a smart phone or a digital camera. Is there a block ID# I can look for?
Old February 11th, 2018, 6:42 AM
CF Active Member

No help? Where are all the experts?
Old February 11th, 2018, 8:33 AM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by 96 Junk That Moves View Post
I can't provide a photo. I don't have a smart phone or a digital camera. Is there a block ID# I can look for?
No, casting numbers won't tell you. Don't you have a friend that can get an image taken, email it to you, and you post it?
Old February 11th, 2018, 8:33 AM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by 96 Junk That Moves View Post
No help? Where are all the experts?
They're on strike for more pay.
Old February 11th, 2018, 3:19 PM
CF Active Member

Never mind. I'll take a chance on it . I can buy the complete engine less intake and starter for $100.00. I'll figure it out after I get it home...
Old February 11th, 2018, 3:44 PM
CF Monarch

If it will bolt up, and electrically hook up, replace or have the ecm burned with the engine, you're good to go. I don't apologize for the smart *** remark, you should be more open to supplying for example image, ask a friend to help you with it. Remember this is a bulletin board, we aren't being paid to monitor it, nor are any of us experts. I'd rather have no response to a post as wrong or "I don't know" replies. Best of luck!
Old February 11th, 2018, 7:17 PM
CF Active Member

No offense taken...I just thought there might be some major difference between the SBC and SBC Vortec blocks. I don't plan on building a "road burner" , just a mild street engine with some good low end for towing and such. 2 bolt or 4 bolt makes no difference to me as I won't be leaning hard on the engine and expect to get a good solid HP boost over the 305. I do understand that Chevy used the Vortec blocks from 96 to 2000 and into 2001&2002 in larger trucks. I'm 67 and have "old school" knowledge on SBC engines as I have not really kept up with all the modern improvements over the years. This will probably be the last engine I'll rebuild in my lifetime. If I had the money I would dump a Chevy Performance 454 in the truck , but that is just a dream.
Thanks for your info and reply.

Regards,

JTM

Search this Thread
Sponsors

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: