Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Fan Blower Motor Stays On

Old March 16th, 2019, 8:43 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fan Blower Motor Stays On

I have a 1994 Chevy Cheyenne, two door with the 4.3L that belonged to my dad. It is in fantastic shape, except for when I turn off the ignition - the blower motor under the dash continues to run (more like a whirr), unless I press the OFF button on the AC controller panel first. As long as I remember to push the off button, no issues at all. (I should mention that I have no issues with the A/C or Heater. All fan speeds work fine when running)

Note: it's not pushing out any air through the vents when it does this. You can just hear the motor turning / whirring from behind the dash.

Yesterday, I was going to drive it to work after not driving it for a week or so and the battery was dead. It was an older battery, so it was time. However, when I put the new battery in, I could hear the motor from inside the cab turn on, so I knew that I had forgotten to physically turn it off the last time I had driven it.

I have only been able to find articles about this where the motor stays on all the time after the ignition is shut off and you have to remove the fuse to get it to stop - which is not what's happening here. Those articles say that it is probably the Resistor and/or the Relay.

Everything I read about faulty Resistors say that the motor will stay on always, one speed, or not at all. Nothing about staying running only if I don't actually push the OFF button.

Any thoughts or ideas on if this could be something different?

3,2,1 ... Go!

Last edited by totallypaulie; March 16th, 2019 at 9:02 AM.
Old March 16th, 2019, 2:04 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by totallypaulie
I have a 1994 Chevy Cheyenne, two door with the 4.3L that belonged to my dad. It is in fantastic shape, except for when I turn off the ignition - the blower motor under the dash continues to run (more like a whirr), unless I press the OFF button on the AC controller panel first. As long as I remember to push the off button, no issues at all. (I should mention that I have no issues with the A/C or Heater. All fan speeds work fine when running)

Note: it's not pushing out any air through the vents when it does this. You can just hear the motor turning / whirring from behind the dash.

Yesterday, I was going to drive it to work after not driving it for a week or so and the battery was dead. It was an older battery, so it was time. However, when I put the new battery in, I could hear the motor from inside the cab turn on, so I knew that I had forgotten to physically turn it off the last time I had driven it.

I have only been able to find articles about this where the motor stays on all the time after the ignition is shut off and you have to remove the fuse to get it to stop - which is not what's happening here. Those articles say that it is probably the Resistor and/or the Relay.

Everything I read about faulty Resistors say that the motor will stay on always, one speed, or not at all. Nothing about staying running only if I don't actually push the OFF button.

Any thoughts or ideas on if this could be something different?

3,2,1 ... Go!
I know one thing. GM was the first vehicle manufacutuer to recognise that carbon monoixide could build up in a car (particularly back when carburetors were still used.).

So GM put vents in ther cars doors, as well as leavng the vent air to on the low/floor register to get rid of CO2. which could put a driver to sleep and cuase an accident.
Old March 16th, 2019, 3:14 PM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

on my 94 the motor doesnt stay running once the key is turned off but the blender doors seam to return to a default location for a few seconds.
Old April 26th, 2019, 11:18 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chevy has a TSB about the wiring behind the radio causing issues to the HVAC control head. I experienced it on 2 of my Chevy's.
The dash mounting bracket behind the tape/cd player or relocated radio had pinched the wire harness running behind it.
Since this is a simple check/repair I would start here.

Then check the blower resistor.

Search this Thread