Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Fuel in oil

Search this Thread

Old September 10th, 2018, 6:40 PM
CF Monarch

Received 263 Likes on 255 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Locorotc
Yes sir they were perfectly alright before placing them into the vehicle.
Good work! Keep us updated, please.
Old September 14th, 2018, 10:19 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I got all the new pushrods into the engine and tightened down to the proper tightening sequence, went to try and start the truck and we got the engine to rotate, still no running. I pulled the distributor cap off after putting the engine at TDC and its still on. I tried restarting the engine again and no start. We are getting spark and fuel, you can see the fuel coming out of the injectors and smell the fuel. I'm at a loss right now as to what else to test. Yes I pulled out the timing light and checked the timing and it is at 0 degrees before TDC so the timing is good. Any ideas? Any other troubleshooting options? Any help is appreciated.
Old September 14th, 2018, 10:31 AM
CF Beginner

Also just for information purposes, I have both valve covers off and the air filter housing off at the moment so the pcv valve isn't in its hole, I don't think that has anything to do with it not starting though.
Old September 14th, 2018, 11:56 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Still too tight?if the lifters bled down,now your filling them with oil pressure,back every one off a half turn?
Old September 14th, 2018, 12:04 PM
CF Beginner

Alright I shall try that and see what happens and report back as soon as I can, would it be possible the ICM on the distributor went out?
Old September 14th, 2018, 12:06 PM
CF Beginner

Also do I have to go through the sequence to loosen them like I did to tighten them or can I just loosen them up?
Old September 14th, 2018, 12:13 PM
CF Senior Member

Count the threads above nut,all pretty close to equal,back off to close to the same,no matter where the motor is at,some can have the proper,hand spinning pushrod method done,feel out a good thread count and go from there,crude,but works,Chevy Chase once said"be the motor" or be the ball
Old September 14th, 2018, 12:38 PM
CF Beginner

Makes sense, Ill try it and see what happens
Old September 14th, 2018, 12:47 PM
CF Senior Member

I think you squashed the lifters,now they are pumping up,too tight,my guess,so valves aren't closing,no vacuum to pull fuel in
Old September 14th, 2018, 11:21 PM
CF Beginner

I tried working on the truck, but it started downpouring so I got chased inside, it has only recently stopped raining. I am going to try and loosen up the nuts the half turn tomorrow morning, when I loosen up the nuts do you think it will get the vacuum it needs or do you think I may have a problem with the lifters and need to look at replacing them? I also pulled out the distributor and exchanged it at the auto parts store thinking maybe the ICM on the distributor may have gone bad. I exchanged it under lifetime warranty. Ill put it back in tomorrow as well.