Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Fuel in oil

Search this Thread

Old September 15th, 2018, 8:53 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good question on lifters,I think they pumped back up, holding the valves a bit open,from your relashing them?give it a try
Old September 16th, 2018, 2:48 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I loosened up the nuts like you had said, I reinstalled the new distributor and tried firing it up getting a rotation only until I tapped the accelerator pedal. I stopped after it backfired. I tried starting it again and still the same thing. I can hear the sucking whenever we open the throttle plate but still only a backfire. What's my next move? I feel at so much of a loss, I've never had an engine give me so much of a hassle as this one.

Last edited by Locorotc; September 16th, 2018 at 2:50 AM.
Old September 16th, 2018, 7:50 AM
CF Senior Member

Darn truck,ok,a bit ago you said you were 180 out and corrected it, maybe,or now off?are you feeling for the stronger of the two puffs at plug hole with finger?my bad thinking you had no vacuum,cause of valve lash
Old September 16th, 2018, 9:28 AM
CF Senior Member

Just reread,you verified #1 tdc,so when you are cranking engine,have you turned distributor clockwise to retard timing a bit?backfire in intake is,intake valve still open with spark,too advanced
Old September 16th, 2018, 12:34 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by geo1
Just reread,you verified #1 tdc,so when you are cranking engine,have you turned distributor clockwise to retard timing a bit?backfire in intake is,intake valve still open with spark,too advanced
I have tried turning the distributor clockwise but still the same, I'm going to try setting the distributor at TDC once more and hope and pray it starts, maybe you are right maybe the distributor is 180 off but I watch for the exhaust valve to close as I begin TDC. I haven't really felt for the "poof" of the piston since cranking the engine myself by hand.
Old September 16th, 2018, 12:40 PM
CF Senior Member

Just a way I do it,leaves the valve cover on,no oil cleanup,one test to try,finger in plug hole,spin motor with plug in wire,puff and spark,same time?
Old September 16th, 2018, 12:46 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by geo1
Just a way I do it,leaves the valve cover on,no oil cleanup,one test to try,finger in plug hole,spin motor with plug in wire,puff and spark,same time?
I shall try that, now do you have someone else crank the engine or do you manhandle the motor?
Old September 16th, 2018, 1:13 PM
CF Senior Member

Yep,remote switch or a helper,for safety I would disconnect injectors,but it's a no start,so safe,but no need to flood engine,so close,stinks, just overlooking something
Old September 16th, 2018, 2:03 PM
CF Beginner

Currently my helper, my father in law, is resting for work and is unable to help me and I don't have a remote switch unfortunately. Ill have to wait until tomorrow morning when I get off work to try it, I'm praying that this thing is as simple as resetting the timing because it is seriously frustrating me. One thing I never do however is give up, I will dig and dig and dig until I find the root of the problem. I appreciate your time and patience and I will post back upon working on the truck again, should be tomorrow morning.
Old October 4th, 2018, 6:55 PM
CF Beginner

Sorry I haven't posted in so long, I started a new job overnight. I had my wife try and start the truck while the spark plug is out and its sparking before the blow of the cylinder, I am unsure of my next step, Any help is appreciated now.