Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Heater Coil Question

Search this Thread

Old January 23rd, 2019, 12:46 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater Core Question

So I've never really worked on the engine of a 95 Chevy Silverado before and found out the hoses for the heater core were removed (looks like one of the prior owners decided to bypass) and can't figure out where they are suppose to run.

Would anyone happen to know the routing for the hoses or have a diagram to show where they go? Thank ya'll in advance.

Last edited by ChevyIshi; January 23rd, 2019 at 1:03 AM. Reason: Misspell
Old January 23rd, 2019, 5:47 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The hoses run from the passenger side of the engine to the fire wall on the passenger side. You should see the heater core nipples sticking out from the fire wall....
Old January 23rd, 2019, 7:02 AM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd suspect a clogged or leaky heater core if the previous owner bypassed it. Not a job I relish doing. In most vehicles the dash has to be removed to access the HVAC box. But yeah the heater core nipples should be poking through the firewall somewhere.
Old January 23rd, 2019, 1:05 PM
CF Beginner

Alright. Thank you all. Just a quick question in regards to a leaking or clogged heater core, what would be the best way to check that out? Would I need to remove it or would there be another way to check it?
Old January 23rd, 2019, 4:17 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by ChevyIshi
Alright. Thank you all. Just a quick question in regards to a leaking or clogged heater core, what would be the best way to check that out? Would I need to remove it or would there be another way to check it?
Run water or compressed air through it to check for a clog. If it was leaking their may be evidence on your passenger side floor already , otherwise you may have to just hook the hoses back up and run it . A small leak may take awhile to appear in the cab.
Old January 23rd, 2019, 4:58 PM
CF Beginner

Alright. Thank you for all the help everyone. I really appreciate it.
Old January 23rd, 2019, 6:31 PM
CF Active Member

If your lucky the water will drain out through the firewall. Had a '92 Acclaim that had a drain so the condensate would drain through the firewall and not all over the front passenger floor. I don't know if your Silverado has this though.

One way to check for a clog would be to reconnect the heater hoses, refill with coolant or water and bring the system up to operating temperature. If you get little or no heat then the heater core is clogged.
Old January 23rd, 2019, 7:24 PM
CF Beginner

It looks like there's a hose bent at 90 degrees that's suppose to work as a drain.

At least that is what I assumed it's for.

I'm hoping that the heater core will still work properly but I guess I won't know till I check it out.
Old January 23rd, 2019, 7:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

If the hoses are no longer on the heater core it's pretty much a sure thing the core is shot and will leak when hooked back up. You might consider rigging a way to put an air pressure test on the core so you don't get a leaky water mess when the core leaks. Cores are usually a big PIA to replace due to all the stuff you need to pull to get to them. Try googling your make/model/year for heater core change - you will likely get an idea of what's involved and see if you want to do it. When our 05 Sub needed one it went to the mechanic!
Old January 23rd, 2019, 7:38 PM
CF Beginner

Yeah I'll probably look up some videos and such. I'm tempted to try and do all the repairs but at the same time if its possibly gonna cause more damage by my hands I'll probably have a professional look at swapping it out.