Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Jacking up transmission?

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2020, 1:05 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jacking up transmission?

Hi all, new to the forum, I'm doing some work on my very rusty 1997 K1500. Replacing transmission mount, and dropping oil pan to replace gasket.

My questions is, what all needs to be done to raise the transmission a little to get the mount threads clear of the cross member? The 15mm bolts attaching the mount to the transmission are seized and I want to remove the crossmember to acess them. I've removed the nuts from the bottom of the transmission mount, and removed all bolts from the crossmember, but I don't want to raise up the transmission and damage it without asking you all.

Front driveshaft is removed also.

Thanks,
Steve
Old May 2nd, 2020, 1:06 PM
CF Beginner

Sorry forgot, auto transmission...
Old May 2nd, 2020, 1:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 286 Likes on 248 Posts

You can place a jack with a wood block (2x4) right behind the engine oil pan on the flat area on the bottom of the transmission (bell) housing or on the edge of the transmission oil pan so the block is directly underneath the vertical part of the pan. You’ll be able to lift from either of these points - just make sure nothing is hanging it up.

The key is using a wood block large enough to spread the force across a wider area on the transmission. Make sure the block is at least as wide as the pan or the flat on the housing.

Also, you won’t be able to lift it high enough to clear the cross member while it’s attached to the transmission - there’s not enough clearance between the trans and body. Either remove the crossmember completely or remove the mount bolts from the trans before lifting it, then you should have enough clearance to tilt it towards the rear of the truck and remove it.
Old May 3rd, 2020, 8:31 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for your help. Unfortunately you are right that I wasn't able to get the threads of the mount to clear the crossmember. The 15mm bolts that are holding the mount to the tranny are seized, and i was hoping to get the crossmember out in order to access these bolts to remove. I will have to figure something else out. Thanks again.
Old May 3rd, 2020, 9:22 AM
CF Monarch

Received 362 Likes on 343 Posts

Try spraying the seized bolts with Blaster and tapping on them. Do this several times and with some luck they will break loose.
Old May 3rd, 2020, 12:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 286 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve97Chev
Thanks for your help. Unfortunately you are right that I wasn't able to get the threads of the mount to clear the crossmember. The 15mm bolts that are holding the mount to the tranny are seized, and i was hoping to get the crossmember out in order to access these bolts to remove. I will have to figure something else out. Thanks again.
I know working room is tight, but your best chance for breaking them loose is with the transmission resting on the crossmember because that will help keep the transmission stable. Use a box end wrench with a hammer or a 3/8” drive closed crows foot with a long handled ratchet or breaker bar.

The crossmember is meant to be removed with the mount still attached to the transmission - it’s one of the steps to remove both the transfer case and the transmission - so it can be done.

Perhaps if you post a picture, I might be able to offer better guidance. These trucks are pretty much all the same but the process can be slightly different.
Old May 3rd, 2020, 7:05 PM
CF Beginner

I got it. I was able to pound a bolt extractor on, and use the open end of a 7/8" wrench to get the bolts off the tranny. Hadn't tried that because normally the bolt extractors slip off unless I apply alot of forward force, but it bit the bolts and they came off with a little bit of a struggle.

Thanks again.
Old May 11th, 2020, 12:45 AM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I literally removed the transmission mount and cross member yesterday... I jacked it up on the transfer case and it worked fine... I left the mount bolted to the cross member and unbolted it from the tranny..