Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Just some advice needed please!

Search this Thread

Old June 26th, 2020, 11:31 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just some advice needed please!

Hey everybody so I bought a 92 GMC Sierra 1500 only 97k on it and it’s sat for a while. It started up and ran after just a battery and a little tweaking with the starter wires but It seems to have a pretty hard start now I’m thinking it’s just old gas but I went ahead and did plugs and wires just to be on the safe side. Should I change the pump or injectors? Or just run some sea foam through it and see what happens? Any suggestions on what I should do would be really appreciated, thank you
Old June 27th, 2020, 6:07 AM
CF Monarch

Received 362 Likes on 343 Posts

Welcome from Florida. I would run a tank or two of good gas with sea foam through it before starting to change parts.
Old June 27th, 2020, 5:21 PM
CF Active Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackietbeal
Hey everybody so I bought a 92 GMC Sierra 1500 only 97k on it and it’s sat for a while. It started up and ran after just a battery and a little tweaking with the starter wires but It seems to have a pretty hard start now I’m thinking it’s just old gas but I went ahead and did plugs and wires just to be on the safe side. Should I change the pump or injectors? Or just run some sea foam through it and see what happens? Any suggestions on what I should do would be really appreciated, thank you
Wouldnt be a bad idea to drop the tank and see what your sending unit looks like. Sitting for long periods is usually trouble. Go ahead and drain the old fuel and change the sock filter while you’re in there.
Old June 27th, 2020, 7:14 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oldchevy
Welcome from Florida. I would run a tank or two of good gas with sea foam through it before starting to change parts.
Thank you, I changed the fuel filter and ran some sea foam. Turns out I had the plug wires off a hair I checked them and put them where they needed to be. It starts fine and really quick when it’s cold but when it’s warmed up I have to put the throttle down to start it. I heard it might be the brain but I don’t know.
Old June 27th, 2020, 7:17 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by burnhedge
Wouldnt be a bad idea to drop the tank and see what your sending unit looks like. Sitting for long periods is usually trouble. Go ahead and drain the old fuel and change the sock filter while you’re in there.
oh ok probably wouldn’t hurt. The fuel filter seemed to help when I changed it but I’ll probably check the fuel pump next. Good/bad thing is it ran out of gas when I moved it so the old fuel was more or less gone but the fuel pump didn’t go out, luckily. Thank you
Old June 28th, 2020, 6:42 AM
CF Monarch

Received 362 Likes on 343 Posts

Double check to make sure the timing is correct.