Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

No Parking Lights, Tailights, Instrument Panel Lights

Search this Thread

Old March 5th, 2019, 7:44 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Parking Lights, Tailights, Instrument Panel Lights

The tailights, parking lights and instrument panel lights stopped working on my 1996 Chevrolet Silverado Pickup. Headlights, brakelights and turn signal lights work. What could be the problem?
Old March 5th, 2019, 8:13 PM
CF Junior Member

Same fuse
Drivers door open, side of dash, fuse panel
Start there
Old April 15th, 2019, 12:43 PM
CF Beginner

Well after 3 weeks in the shop at the local Dealership tracing wires and about 800.00 later i found out that the aftermarket stereo i had installed by a Audio Store was not wired properly. The wiring was also crammed up behind the radio in the dash. This was continuously causing the fuse to blow, causing the parking lights, taillights and instrument panel lights to go out. Considered calling the place where the installation was done and letting them know. I had another place rewire the stereo and clean up the wiring. Works just fine now.
Old April 15th, 2019, 9:58 PM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

that first should should be responsible for the shop cost and wiring issue, right now its really hard to prove anything since you had the issue fixed. i would call them up talk to them civilized and inform them that you had to get the problem fixed at another shop as it was a safety issue and had to be fixed right then. they might help you with the cost or tell you off.
Old April 26th, 2019, 9:46 PM
CF Junior Member

Yes.
GM feeds a instrument light to their radios. With the headlight switch off it's a good ground. Turn the switch on a "pop"
Most "rookie" radio installers make this mistake. I did it once so I am guilty as well. I think it's the gray wire...lol
Sucks you had to endure what you did.