Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Rebuild Kit

Search this Thread

Old March 30th, 2020, 10:34 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuild Kit

Hey Guys,

I have a 1995 K1500 that I'm currently swapping a full Vortec motor into. I have the motor completely torn down and ready for the machine shop. I don't intend on making this a special build by any means. It's going into a truck I use for dump runs and occasionally pulling a small trailer. I am having trouble finding a reputable rebuild kit for this engine. It seems as if there should be a plethora of listings beings this motor is so common. I need a full gasket kit, preferably Felpro gaskets. If everything checks out at the machine shop, I want to bore .030 over. Also, if it would do much I would like to upgrade cam and change to roller rockers. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old March 30th, 2020, 12:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 286 Likes on 248 Posts

Not sure where you’re located, but if you’re in the Midwest, see if there’s an Arnold motor supply near you. They have full machine shop services, and will also order the correct bearings, pistons, cam etc. for any work you have done. They distribute Fel pro gaskets as well.

I had a 350 block and heads worked by them about 15 years ago - when the engine started running rough on day 2 and I could hear a knock, I found the main bearings loose. We took the block and heads back to Arnold’s and they found they had mistakenly ordered the wrong bearings. I was very much a newbie then so I didn’t know anything about plasti-gaging bearings to check for clearance during assembly.

Arnolds completely reworked the crank and block under warranty and verified the crank bearings were correct. I’m yet to do a rebuild since then but if I ever do, that’s where I’ll go for machine work again.