Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

motor swap/rebuild

Search this Thread

Old February 5th, 2010, 1:08 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default motor swap/rebuild

ok i have a '87 camaro that came with the small 6 in it. personally im a truck guy but this thing i bought cheep and can't stand seeing it just sitting there watching the trucks have all the fun. the motor is junk but the body is cheery. Rather than rebuild the 6 i have a '70 350 from a truck torn down awaiting a good cleaning and new parts. this project would be my first complete rebuild so i guess im just looking for some pointers on what kind of parts to put in this thing and also if any one thinks it would be a good idea to buy an '85 delta 88 for some parts (springs, rear end....)
Old February 5th, 2010, 1:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

if block is good, the possibilities are broad. depends on what you want out of the motor/car. mild cam, maybe roller cam/rockers, good heads (gm makes vortec heads for this motor, pretty cheap) bore, flat top pistons. maybe fuel injection (TPI units are common, easy to bolt on, hookup). just depends on your budget and want/needs.
Old February 5th, 2010, 2:46 PM
CF Beginner

im probably going to go with ported heads and intake, holly 650 carb, then i have been looking at all sorts of rebuild packages including possibly a 355 stroker kit, but there are alot of different choices, so i guess im looking for something that will turn some decent revs, and makes some power but try to stay around the 1000 dollar price range (on internal parts at least)
Old February 5th, 2010, 3:37 PM
CF Active Member

get a good stoker kit
Old February 5th, 2010, 4:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

383 stroker kits are more common, usually cheap enough. as far as parts, $1000 will get good quality parts. there's alot of online places to get good, quality kits, with virtually everything you need. however the money will be in the machine shop. it happens all too often, people put a motor together with new parts only to have it fail right away, or too early, because the block wasn't good, or cleaned and prepped well enough. if you want a reliable motor, it's well worth it to have a good shop clean and prep the block/crank. most GOOD, reliable, basic builds average $2k. it can be done cheaper if you know people, or have the tools and equipment to do the work yourself. and big name parts doesn't always mean the best. shop around, ask questions, read reviews. you'd be surprised.
Old February 5th, 2010, 9:22 PM
CF Beginner

i have a '86 chevy k10 longbox with a 350 ci motor, 700r4 trans, new process transfer case with lockouts in the front, weiland intake, 650 holly carb, duel triple chamber flowmasters on 2 1/2'' tubes out the back and 31/12.50/15's all sitting on three inches of body lift. the truck has been my project for about 5 yrs now and this winter shes getting a new cab and a desperately needed front clip. my only problem is trying to find a decent radiator support up here in northern michigan, i already have a flawless cab the came all the way from AZ. so who knows were ill have to go to find the clip!
Old February 12th, 2010, 9:49 PM
CF Active Member

Lmc truck has decent priced good quality brand new parts. They have EVERYTHING you could ever need for your pickup.