Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Squirrels ate THE WIRES OFF MT THROTTLE BODY

Search this Thread

Old December 29th, 2017, 10:02 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squirrels ate THE WIRES OFF MT THROTTLE BODY

Help Squirrels ate THE WIRES OFF MT THROTTLE BODY , I didnt know about the damage until I went on a 10 mile trip I knew it wasnt running right and checked out the engine once i got back home and found my wires from the two connectors on the throttle body were chewed off. I replaced the new pigtails with butt connectors but im getting obd2 codes 108 122 452 453 change . the check engine soon light has been on for years but has been running great until the squirrels attacked my truck.Now the engine is still running too fast at idle and shifts too fast but want down shift when i gas on it hard.I dont know if my butt connectors are carring a good signal to the computer
Old December 30th, 2017, 4:05 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Blacksheep64
Help Squirrels ate THE WIRES OFF MT THROTTLE BODY , I didnt know about the damage until I went on a 10 mile trip I knew it wasnt running right and checked out the engine once i got back home and found my wires from the two connectors on the throttle body were chewed off. I replaced the new pigtails with butt connectors but im getting obd2 codes 108 122 452 453 change . the check engine soon light has been on for years but has been running great until the squirrels attacked my truck.Now the engine is still running too fast at idle and shifts too fast but want down shift when i gas on it hard.I dont know if my butt connectors are carring a good signal to the computer
Well , you are going to have to replace the wires then.
Old December 30th, 2017, 5:05 PM
CF Monarch

Received 349 Likes on 330 Posts

Solder joints with heat shrink tubing is much better than butt connectors.
Old December 30th, 2017, 11:06 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by oldchevy
Solder joints with heat shrink tubing is much better than butt connectors.
Yeah I agree. He could get the wires and connections at a junk yard, instead of buying from dealer to save money. They also make
a plastic wire protector that would keep this from happening again.My brother had problems with mice getting up in his air cleaner,
so 'he made a protective screen to keep those pest out of there. Such creatures are dead on sight, because I have two outdoor cats who 'kill
any vermin they come across. Never have rodent problems around my place. and cats are cheap to keep too..
Old December 31st, 2017, 6:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update ..... I found the problem. I decided to follow the advice and solder the connections and found that the 3 gray wires between the two connectors coming out of the main harness going to the throttle body were different colors one was solid,one had a black stripe and one had a white stripe which I could not see the fine white stripe. I swapped the two wires and problem is solved.
thanks guys.