Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Surge After Shifting

Search this Thread

Old January 16th, 2021, 1:45 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Surge After Shifting

Hello,
I have a '94 K1500 with a 4.3L and NV 3500 transmission and I've noticed a strange surge, or jerking, sensation after I shift to the next gear when driving. When it's cold and has just started to get on the road, it's fine. After everything has warmed up, I'll grab a gear and the truck starts to jerk around and sounds like it's losing it's fuel supply and trying to shut down on the highway. Once in a while it will surge while at a cruising speed too. I have recently replaced the fuel pump and the fuel filter, and the air filter looks decent. I was just hoping to pick your brain and see if you had any ideas that I could check out. Thanks for any help!
Old January 16th, 2021, 4:46 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Red 94
Hello,
I have a '94 K1500 with a 4.3L and NV 3500 transmission and I've noticed a strange surge, or jerking, sensation after I shift to the next gear when driving. When it's cold and has just started to get on the road, it's fine. After everything has warmed up, I'll grab a gear and the truck starts to jerk around and sounds like it's losing it's fuel supply and trying to shut down on the highway. Once in a while it will surge while at a cruising speed too. I have recently replaced the fuel pump and the fuel filter, and the air filter looks decent. I was just hoping to pick your brain and see if you had any ideas that I could check out. Thanks for any help!
I think you have a bad Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) on your Chevy..
Old January 16th, 2021, 7:48 PM
CF Active Member

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

@oilcanhenry How would that cause the surge? Would it be caused by a dead spot in the sensor, so every time he hits that spot it stumbles? I think it is safe to assume he has good fuel supply, but we should also consider the truck would have TBI, right?
Old January 17th, 2021, 3:12 PM
CF Beginner

Yes the truck has a TBI set up. Where it was happening when I let the clutch out I was wonder if it could possibly be the clutch or the pressure plate. I keep forgetting how many sensors are on these trucks.
Old January 18th, 2021, 9:41 AM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by Mr. Dude with a face
@oilcanhenry How would that cause the surge? Would it be caused by a dead spot in the sensor, so every time he hits that spot it stumbles? I think it is safe to assume he has good fuel supply, but we should also consider the truck would have TBI, right?
TBI has a Throttle Body Sensor.
Old January 18th, 2021, 9:43 AM
CF Monarch

Yes the truck has a TBI set up. Where it was happening when I let the clutch out I was wonder if it could possibly be the clutch or the pressure plate. I keep forgetting how many sensors are on these trucks.
Post some OBD I codes if you can.
Old January 19th, 2021, 12:12 PM
CF Beginner

I haven't noticed any lights coming on when it does that. Could there be codes if there are no warning lights?
Old January 19th, 2021, 5:42 PM
CF Monarch

I haven't noticed any lights coming on when it does that. Could there be codes if there are no warning lights?
Yes there can be.
Old January 20th, 2021, 3:14 PM
CF Beginner

Sounds good. I'll see what I can find. Thanks for the help
Old January 23rd, 2021, 4:06 AM
CF Monarch

Sounds good. I'll see what I can find. Thanks for the help
No problem. That's what we are here for, Red 94..

Quick Reply: Surge After Shifting