Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

TPS-new rebuilt transm- still shifts hard

Search this Thread

Old December 30th, 2022, 6:38 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question TPS-new rebuilt transm- still shifts hard

Hello. Im new to this forum and I hope someone can help with better ideas than ive come up with. I have a 1996 silverado 1500, 2wd, 5.7 vortec. The original issue was hanging between first and second gear. It evolved into erratic shifts and surges. I originally replaced Throttle position sensor, it did not help. Alos have put in two other Idle air control sensors, and changed all 4 O2 sensors, Various transmission parts then just last month, put in a rebuilt one. It now shifts very hard. wont idle down. I was not successful in getting the "reset" techniques to work for the new TPS or IAC. Ive tried to reset the computer, and it still slams into gear. It did work beautifully immediately after i got it in ---shifted like butter. I had forgotten how powerful the motor used to feel when driving it. I guess i should have driven if further and given it time to totally relearn the new transmission? A friend put a reader on it and all that came up was the TPS. Put in a new one, but it still reads 'low voltage to ground". He said to take apart all my ground wires, clean and tighten. Isnt there an easier way to find the specific damaged area? I dont have fancy tools, but i can use the light bulb tester. Oh yes-and my instument cluster stopped working properly prior to all this. First trip meter went out, then tach and speedo, then the rest of it. Maybe this is related?

Is this ground the root of all these evil things happening to my pickup? Any insights would be most appreciated!! thank you!!!