Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Update on my issue, Please help

Search this Thread

Old December 20th, 2019, 8:02 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update on my issue, Please help

I have learned that the vibration / grind happens when I am on a fairly flat road, highest gear, when going from steady cruise no load to a little throttle and pressure on drive line just before down shift I experience a vibration / grind. Feels like mid truck to rear. If I let off it stops, If I accelerate through it it gets a little worse and I feel a drag and then It goes away.
Its not a tire balance issue, obviously.
New bearings in rear axle and diff, new u joints,
Please help!
Old December 20th, 2019, 8:28 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Mountain mike
I have learned that the vibration / grind happens when I am on a fairly flat road, highest gear, when going from steady cruise no load to a little throttle and pressure on drive line just before down shift I experience a vibration / grind. Feels like mid truck to rear. If I let off it stops, If I accelerate through it it gets a little worse and I feel a drag and then It goes away.
Please help!
There may be a problem with the gearbox.
Old December 21st, 2019, 9:25 AM
CF Beginner

Default Update to my update

Please help!

I finally got it on a lift and now I know it is in the rear differential axle somewhere I have a lot of end play on the axles but it seems more like the limited slip assembly is bad I hope that's what it is I'm going to replace it. I don't get too many replies and no one seems to have any advise so that's what I'm going to go with if nothing else I hope my problems help somebody else with a similar issue.

Mountain Mike
Old December 21st, 2019, 6:36 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

The gear mesh has to be right on within tolererance, and shimmed if need be to get the clearance. Thing called plasti-gauge will give you the mesh clearance. I'd not recommend this level overhaul.
Old December 22nd, 2019, 8:12 PM
CF Beginner

Default kevinkpk

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
The gear mesh has to be right on within tolererance, and shimmed if need be to get the clearance. Thing called plasti-gauge will give you the mesh clearance. I'd not recommend this level overhaul.
kevinkpk, are you referring to inside the transmission if so I agree I would never try that I really feel like it is the differential limited-slip assembly it is very loose back there and makes a racket
Old December 23rd, 2019, 5:17 PM
CF Active Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What rear end do you have? I'd say it's cheaper and easier to upgrade to a good used 14 bolt semi float than to rebuild a junk 10 bolt. Just my opinion.
Old December 23rd, 2019, 7:40 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by burnhedge
What rear end do you have? I'd say it's cheaper and easier to upgrade to a good used 14 bolt semi float than to rebuild a junk 10 bolt. Just my opinion.
yeah 8.2 is junk but the 8.5 is just as strong as the 14-bolt I would never spend all that time and money when I can just put a new differential in it.
Old December 23rd, 2019, 11:11 PM
CF Active Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

yeah 8.2 is junk but the 8.5 is just as strong as the 14-bolt I would never spend all that time and money when I can just put a new differential in it.
Best of luck