Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

01’ manual mirror to power folding conversion upgrade questions…

Search this Thread

Old July 10th, 2021, 6:12 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 01’ manual mirror to power folding conversion upgrade questions…

I have a 2001 Chevy Silverado 4x4 4.8 liter. The truck came with power directional adjusting mirrors, manual fold in and out. Very basic. When pulling into my garage the mirrors bumped the sides of the garage as I was unable to power fold them in.
So I decided to take on the project of installing power folding mirrors with defrost(heated), turn signal built into the glass, and power directional mirror movement(SAME OPTION AS THE ORIGINAL MIRRORS)from a 2003 Silverado, bought them new.
I have done tons of research to find a way to safely and correctly make the power folding option to work along with getting the signals to work. The only way to get the defrost to work is changing the Heat Control Module/Unit to one that has the rear defrost button on it. Not to worried about that option for now.
HERE IS MY PROBLEM/DILEMMA-THE THING NOT WORKING….
I cannot get the directional movement of the mirror to move using the door panel square control switch to move the mirror a little up, down, left, right even though I followed instructions I have found online. Although this project has moved along the only power feature that worked perfectly on my stock mirrors won’t work on the new 03’ mirrors. I’m aware that the truck didn’t offer the extra mirror options. You would be surprised to see how you can borrow power somewhere-use a momentary switch, 2 relays and power folding mirrors that didn’t come with the truck now work.
IVE ONLY ATTEMPTED THE DRIVERS SIDE SO FAR, one mess at a time!!

Can anyone, who successfully attempted this power folding mirror conversion upgrade, help me with the final wiring instructions to make the mirrors move? Thx! Anthony
Photo shows the 5 wires off the original mirror:
Orange-hot lead for defrost(GM Wired the truck for defrost but my original mirrors didn’t have defrost)
Black-ground for heated mirror(I THINK) this black wire is questionable on why the power directional mirror doesn’t work)
White-Yellow-Light Green
These wires controlled the stock directional mirror option
These Wires were hooked up to wires on the new mirror but the new mirror won’t move.
photos included
Wire diagram photo is how I was able to get the new power folding to work