Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

03 1500 coil spring question

Search this Thread

Old July 22nd, 2018, 6:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 1500 coil spring question

I was changing the shocks on my 03 1500 a couple of weeks ago. I noticed that at the bottom of the coil spring was what looked like a rubber grommet of some sort in the lower control arm. Is this a spacer of some sort? It was dry rotted and pretty much gone. Is the coil spring to control arm supposed to metal to metal, or what? I've owned the truck since new, and have never had any suspension mods. The grommet in the upper control, on top of the spring looks new. From what I've researched, that is where you would put spacers, which I was considering, cause the front is sagging, even with new shocks. Suspension still hits a little harsh also, comfortable, but a little harsh. I just installed Monroe Reflex shocks all around. Thanks in advance.
Old July 22nd, 2018, 7:04 PM
CF Beginner

Are they called coil spring isolators or seats?

Last edited by Texasbluezman; July 22nd, 2018 at 7:11 PM.
Old July 24th, 2018, 5:34 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The idea behind them being there is that they are suppose to stop any noise or rattles....
Old July 24th, 2018, 12:15 PM
CF Beginner

Yes, I realize that. The problem that I'm running into, is, how come there are only front uppers for sale? The uppers on my truck still look really good. From what I've read, those never really wear out, only the lowers. But, for some reason, no one carries them. Is is a dealer only item? I think this might be one here from JC Whitney:

https://www.jcwhitney.com/details/Mo.../TS904940.html

If it is the right one, I'm gonna order a set. Just trying to get some verification. I'm not a total noob, I've never changed out anything with the springs or accessories before, only shocks.

Thanks!