Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

'04 Silverado 1500 non-HD lift kit questions

Search this Thread

Old February 9th, 2021, 8:09 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '04 Silverado 1500 non-HD lift kit questions

First, yes, I've searched through the threads. I even just scrolled back through the 99-06 section page by page until I was reasonably certain I wasn't going to find much more. Everything I found was either a single post or the specifics had nothing to do with my questions. Second, yes, I've already googled a lot, but I still have questions, so I'm hoping someone here might know the answer(s).

This is my wife's truck. She would like to do a 5-6" lift. It is a 4x4 with the auto-trac transfer case. She despises the look of trucks when the tires stick out of the wheel wells excessively. From my research, this means that any spindle lift is out if I am correct. I know some spindle kits move the differential about 4" and then the rest is through the spindle, and this creates a wider stance for the tires, but some of the companies don't specify that their kits stick out. Is this universal due to the design or are there some which don't stick out? I'm thinking we're going to have to stick to a full suspension lift which will drop the whole front end 6" while keeping stock control arms and width. Is that right? I know in that case I will need to also either get a kit with a new driveshaft with the cardon joint, or buy it separate. Either way I go, I can't find any info on steering components. I'm used to live axles and having to do drop pitman arms and whatnot. Is this necessary for torsion bar suspension? Forgive me, but I just haven't taken a good look at her suspension yet to even see how that's all hooked up....just been doing internet searches.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.