Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

2001 Chevy Silverado stalls

Old June 8th, 2010, 2:01 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just watched the video wish i woulda know this before i dropped 400 damn bucks on a new fuel pump and crap uggghhhh damn silverados my dmax bever gives me issues but these 1999-03s have so many dumb issues freakin truck is nickel and diming me to death but thanks to everyone who is helping me fix it
Old June 23rd, 2010, 11:03 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2001 Silverado stall

I own a 2001 Silverado 1500. I had a problem with engine stall and a rough idle on and off for several years. I was told everything from having a bad fuel pump to I was using the wrong plugs. I cleaned the EGR valve several times which usually helped. Recently cleaning the EGR stopped helping. I removed the throttle body and it was real dirty. I thoroughly cleaned it, and my problem appears to have been solved. The car is running like new again. The idle is smooth, no more stalling under load, and my acceleration is back to what it used to be.
Old August 4th, 2010, 9:49 AM
CF Beginner

I am glad if i helped atleast one person.. one of the forums i read a chevy mechanic suggested cleaning throttle body every other oil change..
Old August 4th, 2010, 10:17 AM
CF Beginner

I had simliar problems with my truck, it ended up being water in my fuel, it doesnt take much i could drive around all day and randomly it would just sputter and pretty much die if i touched the gas, then start right back up.
Old August 11th, 2010, 10:43 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by holyspatulaboy
hey for theGenIII series check the throttle position sensor.. my truck used to boucne from 400 to 1000 rpms and my voltage would react accordingly...i also thought bad fuel pump/filterbut there is a bulletin out for idle problems but im not sure where it is anymorewhat they do is adjust your minimum idle air for the idle control and put a rubber plug in the butterfly...but what i do is every time i change my oil i pull off the intake tube and spray some throttle body cleaner up in the Idle control valve port and i have never had an idle problem since... i change my oil every 10,000 miles... so i guess if you use the 3,000 rule do it every 3 changes...
Experienced the same on my '03 4.8L... One $4 can of Throttle Body Cleaner and we're back to normal. Thanks for the tip...

John
Old August 11th, 2010, 10:52 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Kogaborn
ok, well, I told my mechanic about the fix holyspatulaboytold about. He had been playing for about a week trying to fix my problem and was severely stumped, so he tried it and poof, no more dieing. But there has to be a better way to fix this other than increasing the idle. I have thought about changing out the ECM, but I am not sure if that would be a solution or not. What would tell the motor to shut down if it falls below a certain RPM ?

It not that its being told to shut down, its the physics, at a certain RPM threshold the engine just can't maintain the momentum and it stalls... just like planes have to fly at a certain speed or they fall out of the sky...

Sounds to me the IAC Idle air control just got gummed up over time...running a fuel additive may help with this
Old August 25th, 2010, 9:53 PM
CF Beginner

fuel pressure regulator.......$80.00 autozone
Old March 26th, 2011, 11:25 AM
CF Beginner

Default Silverado stalling at idle

I have a 2003 silverado 1500 5.3 the other day i came to a stop sign the rpm were jumping from about 100 to 700 rpm than it would die. Its fine when im driving atleast 20mph but as soon as i let off the gas my rpm drop and eventually it stalls. It stalled 4 times during my 10 mile drive home from work and once again in my driveway. Ive been told a fuel pump or fuel filter wanted to get some other advice before i try that?
Old March 26th, 2011, 12:39 PM
CF Junior Member

check for a vacuum leak with smoke machine or propane
Old March 27th, 2011, 10:27 AM
CF Beginner

Try cleaning the throttle body before you change the pump.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2001 Chevy Silverado stalls