Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

2001 Chevy Silverado stalls

Old April 1st, 2011, 2:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle too low and jumping

I have a 03 5.3 silverado. i just recently had stalling problems where i clean the throttle body maf sensor and replace fuel filter. the stalling stopped but it seems like my idle and low about 400-600. how can i adjust my idle or is there something else to help with this problem? Thanks
Old April 2nd, 2011, 6:17 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

The BcM and ECM control the idle and it should self adjust after a few hours/miles of driving....
Old June 27th, 2011, 9:09 PM
CF Beginner

I am having the same stalling problem with low rpm's. The only difference is that my volts are droping way low. I replaced the fuel filter last night, no difference. Battery today no difference, I am going to clean the throtle body tonight and see if that help. Check back I will let everyone know if there is any difference. Another user suggested to watch the throtle body cleaning video on youtube.com. And if your not much of a mechanic like me then IT HELPED ALOT!!! I would advise you to watch it.
Old June 27th, 2011, 9:15 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Jason P Welcome to the forum yes let us know how it works out...

Condition
Some owners may comment on an idle instability, low idle speed or rough idle.
Cause
Condition may be caused by deposits in the throttle body bore.
Correction
Clean throttle body bore and throttle valve plate of carbon using a shop rag and an appropriate cleaner.
Refer to Engine Controls Repair Procedures - Throttle Body Cleaning Procedure. This procedure may be
performed at any mileage necessary. Check to determine if the PCM calibration has been previously
updated to one that includes the update for throttle body coking. For 2003 model year vehicles, look in the
operating system portion of the calibration. For 2000-2002 model year vehicles, look in the engine portion
of the calibration. If not, then update the PCM calibration to the latest calibration.
Old June 29th, 2011, 12:39 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Jason P
I am having the same stalling problem with low rpm's. The only difference is that my volts are droping way low. I replaced the fuel filter last night, no difference. Battery today no difference, I am going to clean the throtle body tonight and see if that help. Check back I will let everyone know if there is any difference. Another user suggested to watch the throtle body cleaning video on youtube.com. And if your not much of a mechanic like me then IT HELPED ALOT!!! I would advise you to watch it.

***GOOD NEWS*** I cleaned the throttle body and the Mass Air Flow Censor with approved cleaner from auto parts store. I spent less then $13.00 and thus far problem is fixed. My alternator was failing it's test before cleaning throttle body causing my volts to drop due to low idiling. I was hittin 300 RPM's at best. So after I cleaned the throttle body idil raised to around 600 RPM's (which still my be a little low) and the alternator passed and my truck has not stalled once so far. Not to mention the performance is now like a V8 should be. The auto parts guy told me since I do a lot of towing I should look into getting a cold air intake. He said it would give me a few more horse power and a little better gas mileage. What are you ideas on that. And again thanks for the welcomes to the forum and all the advice.

Jason
Old August 14th, 2011, 7:36 PM
CF Beginner

Default Cleaing the throttle body worked!

Thanks for all the input in this forum. I've had rough idling and stalling problems for quite some time. Yesterday spent $3.99 on cleaner and the problem is solved!
Old October 1st, 2014, 12:36 PM
CF Beginner

Hi Ya All, I am having same Problem, and will let you know if it works cleaning throttle body. Thanks Larry.
Old November 17th, 2014, 4:30 PM
CF Beginner

Default It worked

It worked till tonight, then stalled and took several minutes to start. when started low oil and low gas and ran rough. No codes, No warnings just died, cranks like no fuel????????? Very Frustrating!!!!
Old February 7th, 2015, 5:05 PM
CF Beginner

Default 20001 chevy 1500 4.8l stalling

my 2001 1500 4.8 keeps stall ran a code reader and these codes came up for my egr p0404 egr control/circuit range. p0405 egr a circuit low. p1404 egr closed position performance. p0404 egr circuit range/performance. Ir runs fine when its cold but when its warm if i dont keep the rpms up to 800-1000 it will stall. thinking about replacing egr valve and sensor and harness for it? any input on this issue would be great.
Old December 29th, 2015, 12:15 AM
CF Beginner

ok so i have an 01 silverado 1500 LT with the 5.3L. I was driving down the highway and went to accelerate and it just bogged down to the point where I had to pull over and shut it off. When I try and start it, it will turn over and idle for about 5 seconds and then die. Also when I hit the gas peddle it wont start or idle. The codes that pop up have been the MAF, CPS, and evap sensor. Since then I have replaced the fuel filter, evap solenoid, and CPS. The MAF sensor stopped throwing a code. I drained the fuel out thinking it might be bad gas and when I put some fresh gas in it with the new filter it started and idled fine. I was able to rev it up slightly. To much and it would want to die. I ran it for about an hour like that and then shut it off and let it sit for another hour. After that it has not stayed running since. I have not actually put a pressure gauge on the fuel rail yet but I do have fuel shoot out after the pump cycles. I can also hear the fuel pump working when I start it and while it is running. Also the code the evap sensor throws is P0443.

ANY IDEAS WILL HELP!! Thank you.

Last edited by black01; December 29th, 2015 at 12:32 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2001 Chevy Silverado stalls