Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

2004 Chevy Silverado 2500hd 4 door 6.0l engine automatic 4x4

Search this Thread

Old February 17th, 2024, 6:33 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Chevy Silverado 2500hd 4 door 6.0l engine automatic 4x4

Hello my 2004 Chevy truck I had am issue with the key cylinder has come apart in the cylinder housing. After so working around I managed to get the key to turn again and I was able to remove the key cylinder and I bought a new one and replaced it but then I run into an issue that the truck would not start and I had no security light coming on the dash. I connected a jumper with get the engine to crank and it fired up then. But I found I was having a issue with the transmission not shifting.
I removed the key cylinder again and removed the switch from the column and turning the switch by hand it would crank the engine and it would start so I just left the key cylinder out and started it by the switch.
I had put a couple hundred miles on it like this with no problems then. I was coming home late one night and coming threw a small town I had to stop at a stop sign after taking off again and getting out of town I hit the cruise control again and it started surging and it seemed like it was not in gear I disengaged the cruise control and stepped on the gas and it seemed to be ok then .
About a mile down the road I slowed to make a turn and when I stepped onto the gas again it had backfired a few time threw the intake and then it took off but not real fast and it seemed to be losing power after that just by luck my cousin lived about 20 miles away. By the time I got to his place I was not able to get over 35 mph then so I went to his place and parked there for the night. The next day I went back and tried to start it and it would not start. So then with a cheap diagnostic scanner I had checked for any code and there was one sensor bank 1 sensor 1 issue and a bank 1 sensor 2 issue and a crank sensor issues but I bought a new crank sensor and changed it and still no start. The next day I barrowed a fuel pressure gauge from a friend .
When I first put it on and turned on the key it had jumped up to around 45 lbs of pressure then I jumped the switch and it jumped up to around 55 lbs of pressure then I cranked the engine and the pressure dropped to 15lbs.
I then removed the relay and I put a jumper wire across the terminals to inguage the fuel pump. At this time the fuel pressure was around 60lbs then and when I cranked the engine it dropped to around 45 lbs.
After doing this I deside that my problem was not the fuel pump or the fuel pressure regulator. So I then narrowed a friend diagnost scanner and I tested it again and it was then it came up and said security protocol was not meet engine disabled. I then cut the yellow and the black wire or the key cylinder sensor for the key and connected the 2 wires and I tried again to do the relearn to get it to start and after going threw it all for the 30m I tried to start it again and still would not start. I have not yet had a chance to do another scan on it but I am guessing it is still have this security photocol not meet issue still.
My question now is can I disable this security system so that it will no longer come up again or am I going to have to replace steering column in my truck now becouse I am thinking the problem is now in the key cylinder housing that It was damaged when the old cylinder had came apart inside of it and that is why I am having so much troubles with it now. And can I get by with changing the whole steering column in the truck or is that going to be cousing more problem with the computer not knowing the new steering column and still threw up this photocol not meet still