Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

2005 Silverado 4.3 2WD PCM wiring

Search this Thread

Old December 27th, 2017, 8:05 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Silverado 4.3 2WD PCM wiring

Hi. I've purchased a 2005 Silverado 1500 a couple months ago. When I can, I've been fixing it up so it's roadworthy again. Truck was a base model. Manual locks, manual mirrors, 4.3 V6, 2WD. Regular cab long bed. I've added an aftermarket keyless entry kit, converted to heated power mirrors. Since apparently, to add power windows/locks/mirrors you'd normally have to reprogram the BCM, I had to get creative to wire the mirrors. It works though, and doesn't look too bad once I put the door panels back on. (I really don't want to spend too much on this truck; I only paid $450 for it.)

I've got one issue though. The doors don't lock when in gear, since the BCM doesn't even know power locks are present. So, my plan is to use a relay (or 2) to trigger the lock/unlock on the aftermarket lock kit. Problem is I need a +12V signal, depending on what gear the truck is in. The only part I know of that gives some kind of signal as to what gear it's in is the neutral safety switch. I'm not even sure if that switch uses 12V as a signal, though. Is there any wire I can tap into under the hood (but not under the truck) for this? The reverse lights are the only other thing I know of that has a 12V source dependent on gear, but that won't work for what I need.
Old January 13th, 2018, 1:38 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update: I finally figured it out. Hopefully this helps someone else if they ever need it. My truck has a strange looking connector on the neutral safety switch. Every diagram I've found on the internet is either a 2 connector setup (4 pins and a 3 pin I think) or the newer style connector I think 12 pins, but only seven are used. My truck is a little different. Mine uses that same 12 pin connector, but has 8 wires. The color coding is completely different, too. Saw a diagram for an F250? that used a green wire on the neutral safety switch as a signal wire. So I thought I might as well try it. It worked! Wire puts out +12V only in park with the key on.