Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

2005 silverado starting issues

Search this Thread

Old April 1st, 2017, 2:27 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 silverado starting issues

I have a 2005 Chevy silverado with a 5.3 vortec 4X4 and after it sits for awhile to get cooled down when I go to start the truck I have to hold the key for about 3-5 seconds it cranks over a few times then it starts but when it starts it lowers idle then goes back to normal idle which is around 500 rpms
Old April 1st, 2017, 7:59 AM
Super Moderator

Received 508 Likes on 468 Posts

the fuel system may be leaking down...losing it prime. prime the fuel rail before starting; cycle the key to run for 2 seconds and repeat 3x before turning the key to start.

If it starts normally after priming, the fuel system is leaking down; either back to the tank or from the injectors into the cylinders. a pressure test with a fuel gauge can confirm this.
Old April 1st, 2017, 6:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tech2
the fuel system may be leaking down...losing it prime. prime the fuel rail before starting; cycle the key to run for 2 seconds and repeat 3x before turning the key to start.

If it starts normally after priming, the fuel system is leaking down; either back to the tank or from the injectors into the cylinders. a pressure test with a fuel gauge can confirm this.
what part would be causing it to leak down
if it was doing that