Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

4L60E transmission leak.

Search this Thread

Old October 9th, 2019, 12:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 4L60E transmission leak.

Recently while driving i noticed a lot of smoke while driving my truck. upon further investigation i notice that my transmission was leaking from the bellhousing. I tried to add some Lucas oil transmission seal conditioner so that i can at least get to work. But as fast as we could pour it in (while the truck was running) it seemed to come right out the transmission. This is a new rebuilt transmission. less than a year old. maybe 10k miles on it. I thought maybe the main seal had gone bad. after working to get that transmission out of the truck and on a stand i took the torque converter off and set it to the side to see if it was leaking. but i didn't seem to see anything. when looking at the seal around the input shaft it looked untouched. I'm going to replace the seal anyways. while looking very closely at the toque converter i noticed that whoever manufactured it didn't do a good job welding. i noticed some very small pin holes in 2 places where the torque converter go around the input shaft. and i noticed a small hairline crack where it bolts up to the flexplate. we seal the torque converter and and used an air compressor to simulate a little compression but maybe a DROP of transmission fluid came out. we cant seem to figure it out. PLEASE if you know anything about this please help. I've looked on other forums with people who have the exact same issue as me and 99% of the time they don't say what actually helped fix it, or if they even got it fixed.