Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

99 Silverado Turns Over Won't Stay Running

Search this Thread

Old April 11th, 2019, 5:50 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Silverado Turns Over Won't Stay Running

Been having starting issues with my Silverado. When I turn the key, the engine will fire and turn over but will not stay running. If I wait a while (about 10 minutes), the truck will start and run fine. The fuel pump was replaced about two years ago and I've recently had the fuel pump rechecked and it is delivering correct pressure. Also had the fuel pump relay replaced. It seems like this is an issue where the engine is not getting any fuel at all as it will not start. I've had fuel pump issues in the past where the engine runs very rough due to lack of fuel and inadequate fuel pressure from a bad pump. This is not what it's doing now as once it starts it runs fine at idle and all speeds and rpm ranges.

Video included, turn the key, engine turns over and tach jumps to between 500-1000 rpms, but will not stay running.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

99 Silverado Z71, 5.3 liter, Automatic Transmission, 4WD,
Attached Files
File Type: mov
Silverado.mov (3.73 MB, 63 views)
Old April 15th, 2019, 1:29 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by RagingBooner
Been having starting issues with my Silverado. When I turn the key, the engine will fire and turn over but will not stay running. If I wait a while (about 10 minutes), the truck will start and run fine. The fuel pump was replaced about two years ago and I've recently had the fuel pump rechecked and it is delivering correct pressure. Also had the fuel pump relay replaced. It seems like this is an issue where the engine is not getting any fuel at all as it will not start. I've had fuel pump issues in the past where the engine runs very rough due to lack of fuel and inadequate fuel pressure from a bad pump. This is not what it's doing now as once it starts it runs fine at idle and all speeds and rpm ranges.

Video included, turn the key, engine turns over and tach jumps to between 500-1000 rpms, but will not stay running.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

99 Silverado Z71, 5.3 liter, Automatic Transmission, 4WD,
I've never seen a fuel gauge go straight up to "full" as fast yours does. Has it always done that? Anyway, you may have an ignition problem. If you can give us some OBD II codes it could be helpful.
Old April 22nd, 2019, 8:53 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try unplugging the EGR valve.