Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Aggravating Water Leak

Search this Thread

Old January 9th, 2020, 6:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aggravating Water Leak

Ive had a water leak thats ending up in my drivers side carpet for the past while, creating a puddle all over the drivers side carpet. I've been told my different mechanics to fix my weather seals, windshield seals, fender, and vapor barrier on the door panel. Today I took off my driver side door panel and the vapor barrier was perfectly dry. I am letting the truck sit this next week to see if water comes in when its just raining, or when im driving. After pulling up my carpet I saw a small wet spot underneath the brake pedal. I bought this truck to learn how to fix any problems myself, as I would love to learn instead of paying for someone else to fix it. I need to drive almost every day for college, so hoping to not have to send it a shop and just work on it when home.
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated on next places to look, ideas on where water could leak in, pretty much anything.

Hopeful to fix it myself,
Allie

Leak on carpet

Puddle behind brake pedal
Old January 9th, 2020, 8:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Welcome Allie; what year and model?
Does it have a sun roof? The drain can leak where yours is wet.
My 93 Suburban did this for many months on the passenger side and it ended up being the firewall seam running from the bottom of the windshield in front of the door. Had to pull the fender to clean it out & re-seal. Many years w/o a leak since then.
The following users liked this post:
rtamcfhgol (August 6th, 2020)
Old January 9th, 2020, 10:16 PM
Super Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 557 Posts

Based on the location of the puddle, it's very likely a windshield leak.

I would set up a garden hose to spray the roof and windshield, then get to work inside, pulling out the carpet, the dash panels, etc. Follow the water trail and just track it down.
Old January 10th, 2020, 12:45 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Rednucleus
Welcome Allie; what year and model?
Does it have a sun roof? The drain can leak where yours is wet.
My 93 Suburban did this for many months on the passenger side and it ended up being the firewall seam running from the bottom of the windshield in front of the door. Had to pull the fender to clean it out & re-seal. Many years w/o a leak since then.

She's a 1999 Chevy Silverado 1500, no sunroof. I think the next place for searching will be my windshield, thank you!
Old January 10th, 2020, 12:46 PM
CF Beginner

Thank you! I will try that out today, I started pulling up as much carpet I can without having to cut any.
Old January 10th, 2020, 6:47 PM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

theres no holes in the roof from someone adding lights or something?
Old January 10th, 2020, 7:02 PM
CF Beginner

Not that I saw, but when I felt the headliner today it was a little damp. Im guessing checking the third brake light is my next move?
Old January 15th, 2020, 11:59 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

I had a similar problem in my 99 Silverado. Turned out to be leaking near the top of the driver's side windshield under the black door seal. Here is the link to the fix (with pictures) - https://www.silveradosierra.com/inte...t25786-20.html

I did not place a piece of aluminum to overlap the joint. I just cleaned the area using isopropyl alcohol and then spread clear silicone over the joint and using my finger (inside a nitrile glove), I pressed some of the silicone "into" the joint. It has not leaked since I did that over 3 years ago.

Be sure and remove the sil plate (in your first picture) and dry out the channel.

GM does sell a very good odor eliminator that will greatly reduce any mildew odor that may be present. The part number is 88861431, and it can be purchased on amazon.com for less than you can get it at a dealership's parts department.

Hope this helps!
Old January 16th, 2020, 3:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 557 Posts

Originally Posted by chevygirl2020
Not that I saw, but when I felt the headliner today it was a little damp. Im guessing checking the third brake light is my next move?
Did you try running a hose over the windshield like I suggested?
Old January 16th, 2020, 3:24 PM
CF Beginner

Hey! I used an air compressor and some soap to check my windshield, and no spots of leaking. I actually have been able to to track the leak to somewhere under the cowl, but taking off my wiper arms is the next problem. The part is truly stuck on, my mechanic friend tried his hand to get it off but couldn't either. Now she's stuck with a tarp over her until I am able to get those wiper arms off to then take off the cowl.

Quick Reply: Aggravating Water Leak