Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Automatic Headlights

Search this Thread

Old September 10th, 2023, 10:19 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automatic Headlights

Hello,

I recently bought a 2000 Silverado that has been through a few hands. This is a base model truck that doesn’t have auto headlights on the switch. I noticed the other morning, as it was the first dark morning driving to work, that the tail lights were on. I was very confused. Driving home from work, it’s now getting darker. I noticed that the headlights turned on automatically, but no light on the dash showing headlights on (not sure if that exists in this truck). I do see what looks to be a sensor on the dash, but I’m not sure what it is. Is this something that was installed aftermarket? Whatever I do with the dial during the dark doesn’t do anything. I’m completely new to the Chevy world, so any answers are appreciated. I just want to know if this is a thing or am I crazy? 😵‍💫
Old September 11th, 2023, 3:44 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

If you have a sensor in the middle of the dash a couple inches in from the windshield, then I would say you have automatic headlights. We purchased a 1999 Silverado, trim level LT that came with automatic headlights and I do not recall is automatic headlights was spelled out - I know there was no wording to alert me to auto headlights on the headlight switch.

I was going to suggest that you check the RPO sticker on the inside door of the glove box to see if the RPO code for automatic headlights was present, but when I looked at the RPO list for the 1999 model year, there is no such RPO code. FYI, RPO codes are what GM uses to identity what options are included with a vehicle (like which engine, transmission, audio system, power door locks, automatic this, automatic that, etc.

Good Luck!