Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Can't explain, engine ran high at low speed

Search this Thread

Old February 6th, 2022, 6:06 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can't explain, engine ran high at low speed

So it seems like every week something is happening weird with my baby. 2004 v6 silverado 1500 base model.

I replaced dash light, plugs and wires, main ignition coil, harmonic balancer, water pump, alternator, battery and a few smaller things within the past year. Now since im working from home I basically drive it once a day. This week it froze so didn't drive it for 3 days straight.

I went out and it was driving perfectly fine and then I felt something weird while I was slowing down at a light my truck wanted to keep going. Its almost like the pedal was stuck as if I floored the engine but my foot was off the gas pedal.

Luckily I was turning into a store parking space so I put it in park and I could hear my engine going full ham. I quickly turned off my truck. Unsure what to do i went inside the store for about 3-5 minutes came back out and turned on my truck. Opened the hood and it was running fine again, didn't happen the rest of the day and I've never had that happen EVER! No warning lights nothing.

I went and dumped a can of Lucas in the gas tank. Could it be that maybe something stuck cause of the cold weather or? My truck sits outside and it did freeze for 2 days. It was a very weird experience for me and Im super worried. Couldve caused an accident if my foot wasnt on the brake or blew my engine.

It was like my truck was wanting to go when idle and I mean at a high level like at 20 mph my engine was running if i was going 90 mphr.
Old February 7th, 2022, 10:24 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Mas00
So it seems like every week something is happening weird with my baby. 2004 v6 silverado 1500 base model.

I replaced dash light, plugs and wires, main ignition coil, harmonic balancer, water pump, alternator, battery and a few smaller things within the past year. Now since im working from home I basically drive it once a day. This week it froze so didn't drive it for 3 days straight.

I went out and it was driving perfectly fine and then I felt something weird while I was slowing down at a light my truck wanted to keep going. Its almost like the pedal was stuck as if I floored the engine but my foot was off the gas pedal.

Luckily I was turning into a store parking space so I put it in park and I could hear my engine going full ham. I quickly turned off my truck. Unsure what to do i went inside the store for about 3-5 minutes came back out and turned on my truck. Opened the hood and it was running fine again, didn't happen the rest of the day and I've never had that happen EVER! No warning lights nothing.

I went and dumped a can of Lucas in the gas tank. Could it be that maybe something stuck cause of the cold weather or? My truck sits outside and it did freeze for 2 days. It was a very weird experience for me and Im super worried. Couldve caused an accident if my foot wasnt on the brake or blew my engine.

It was like my truck was wanting to go when idle and I mean at a high level like at 20 mph my engine was running if i was going 90 mphr.
You need to get that on a code reader fast! Post OBD results here.

Remember to shut the ignition off or put it in neutral, but I wouldn't take a chance driving it at all until its repaired. .
Old February 8th, 2022, 2:27 PM
CF Beginner

Why would I get a code scan when the CEL light didn't come on. It's not going to do me any good.
Old February 10th, 2022, 9:57 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

One, the bulb for the CEL could have burned out.

Two, there are codes called Pending Codes which have not yet appeared enough for the PCM to store a "regular" code and illuminate the CEL.

Three, there are also codes known as Historical Codes that might be able to provide insight into what is going on.

Remember, it takes a certain number of "cycles" or times something happens before the PCM has the CEL illuminate.
The following users liked this post:
oilcanhenry (February 11th, 2022)
Old February 11th, 2022, 12:16 AM
CF Beginner

CEL LIGHTS are not burned out or off. That is a fact I know. There are not historical codes only other ones I checked which cause me to replace wires, plus and ignition coil and since my truck has been running smooth other than this weird incident. That will not solve my dilemma