Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Electrical issue

Search this Thread

Old January 29th, 2018, 2:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical issue

My C2500 dash cluster has started acting strange, the gas gauge fluctuates greatly sometimes showing full sometimes empty. My turn signal ticker (sounds only) stays on even when the signal isn't on but seems to stop when I brake, I'm assuming it might be a short caused by a bad ground but I've never seen anything like this
Old January 30th, 2018, 9:19 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure if this will help your situation, but our old 01 suburban would intermittently shut down for half a second.

I chased and chased my tail trying to figure it out. All it's issues went away after I ran 2 new grounds for the cluster.
Old January 30th, 2018, 4:07 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks you I will try this
Old February 2nd, 2018, 7:55 PM
CF Beginner

So full on update to this one, My gas gauge either pegs full or empty depending on when it feels like doing it, my oil pressure gauge also has a mind of its own, my voltage gauge doesnt do it as much but still moves to much for my liking, and the worst of all my engine temp gauge sits at 110 Degrees at idle and will move up to 145 Degrees when freeway driving (From what ive seen 195 - 210 is normal operating temp). The speedometer and Tac work just fine even though the tac registers my truck idles at 500 rpm which in my experience is low. Im stumped ive pulled every fuse in my truck and replaced them, i have inspected the rear of the cluster (Chevy's wonderful non-clip "paper" motherboard) the only things i can think to do are locate my grounds from the wire cluster, replace the steppers, or get a new cluster. I would prefer not get a new cluster cause well those are $200 +
Old February 3rd, 2018, 3:21 PM
CF Monarch

Received 345 Likes on 326 Posts

If you determine that it is the stepper motors you can do it yourself for about $25 for all 6 of them. You have to be able to solder to do it.