Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Engine knock. Heavy oil fix?

Search this Thread

Old June 19th, 2018, 11:44 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine knock. Heavy oil fix?

Hey guys,

I have a 2000 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3L 4WD with about 224K miles and I've had a terrible sound coming from my engine that started about a week ago. From the videos and info I've found, it doesn't seem to be piston slap. It's more of a heavy knock rather than a light tick. If you watch this video <
> it sounds an awful lot like a broken piston rod. However, even though I probably shouldn't drive it, after a few minutes the sound goes away. I assume that if the piston rod is broken that the sound wouldn't go away, correct?

Which leads me to believe it may have to do with the oil. I haven't noticed any abnormal rise or loss in pressure and the oil level seems fine. The last time I changed my oil was about 1,000 miles ago and I try to change it about every 3,000 miles. Some mechanics recommend using Shell Rotella 15W-40 diesel oil to reach all the nooks and crannies in older engines and was wondering what y'all thought. I believe the last oil I put in was Valvoline MaxLife High Mileage 5W30. It's beaming hot here in central Texas if that makes any difference in the oil I use.

If you would like to hear the sound, just let me know and I can take a video of it.

Thanks a lot!