Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Fuel gauge and battery in message center issue

Search this Thread

Old July 18th, 2023, 1:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 677 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by alderfall
Would that lug there be a good place to pickup maximum amperage non-fused 12VDC?
Yes it would be perfect for that.
Old July 18th, 2023, 9:58 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 100 Likes on 89 Posts

You mentioned that it was a Qwest service truck - you are likely correct about the illuminated switch being for the now removed amber warning light(s).

Nice Kenwood installation (I'm more of a Yaesu/Icom mobile radio guy but I do own a few Kenwood HF rigs). Is that a Larsen antenna on the front fender mount I spy?

chem_man
Old July 20th, 2023, 6:53 AM
CF Monarch

Received 263 Likes on 255 Posts

Good going Rand!

Nice looking Chevy pickup. Mines is a two-door long bed too.

Last edited by oilcanhenry; July 20th, 2023 at 6:56 AM.
Old July 21st, 2023, 3:02 PM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chem_man
You mentioned that it was a Qwest service truck - you are likely correct about the illuminated switch being for the now removed amber warning light(s).

Nice Kenwood installation (I'm more of a Yaesu/Icom mobile radio guy but I do own a few Kenwood HF rigs). Is that a Larsen antenna on the front fender mount I spy?

chem_man
Sorry for the delay guys, I was out with an eye procedure, doctor's orders.

Hahahah... WELL, I am a fond fan of Yaesu as well my friend! In fact, I have several of them. I purchased this Kenwood TM-281A during COVID, it was the only mobile radio I could find at the time! I won't go all in on the discussion, but it replaced a FT-2900 that had to be used to replace an FT-1900. SO, it was a little bit of a radio shuffle there. But, I have been pleased with the Kenwood, surely. I have a commercial Kenwood in the "ham shack", and it has proven itself.

And yes, there's the old Larsen there. This was one of the EASIEST installations I have ever had! One thing that is annoying though involved transmitting at high power. When I set the Kenwood to high TX, the darn thing shuts straight down if I am at idle or shut down. Unless I am on the gas and getting good amperage out of the alternator. I plugged my FT-2900 in and tried it, got the same result. BUT, unlike the Kenwood without a voltage gauge, I can get a voltage reading of the battery out of the Yaesu and it is showing under 12 volts, so it is likely a battery issue. That is fair, considering the battery is 13 years old! Can you believe it? Hahahha... Truck still starts very readily, without issue. But, I obviously need to get it replaced.

73 to you as well, and have a really great evening!

Rand
Old July 21st, 2023, 3:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you sir! You know, it's a base model truck but boy I sure do think it was just about perfect for me. Consider this interesting tidbit. It's a 2001 model. Can you believe it was built prior to 9/11? Boy, time sure does fly by, doesn't it?

Have a wonderful evening there, and I look forward to more as the years go by guys.

Rand

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
Good going Rand!

Nice looking Chevy pickup. Mines is a two-door long bed too.

Last edited by alderfall; July 21st, 2023 at 3:06 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old July 21st, 2023, 10:55 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 100 Likes on 89 Posts

13 years on an automotive battery? WOW! I've heard of them going 8 or 9 years, but never over 10. Might be time for a new battery for that "More Power" mode on the radios!