Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Going forward in reverse

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2019, 3:43 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Going forward in reverse

I was coming home from work today when my truck acted like the brakes locked up. The brake light came on and the ABS light came on. I was able to pull over and coast into a parking lot. At that point I was not able to move even though the motor ran fine. I checked for codes via a OBD2 on torque pro app but there were none. The tow truck guy said it sounded like my transmission or rear end. I checked the fluid when I got home and it was over a quart low. I added the fluid to get the level back up. Now the only thing I have is the "abs" light still on and when I shift to reverse and give it gas it it moves forward.Oh also to note when I shift it in Neutral I cannot move it either direction. Did I tear up the transmission or could I have an "abs' issue? Any thing I could check to confirm? Any help is appreciated.
Old May 9th, 2019, 4:56 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

older trans have a manual connection between the auto trans lever and the trans. if so: it's adjustable and can slip if the nut isn't tight. if not, make sure your trans connector is plugged in (the easy one to see coming off the trans going toward the engine / computer)

if yours is completely "fly by wire" (the park/drive lever is wholey electronic), i have no ideas
Old May 9th, 2019, 5:01 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

> "I was able to pull over and coast into a parking lot."

does that mean you had NO BRAKES? you should have brakes whether or not any computer is working (ie, even if battery is unplugged). check your brake fluid?

really you should have a certified person look at anything that could lead to a deadly accident, if your a beginner - let this diagnosis go by until you are more experienced (you should do so on anythign effecting steering control, suspensions, brakes, anything that might cause an immediate accident if it fails).

if you have no brakes it's possible your car might shut down or give you what you perceive as "glitches". 2004 Silverado LS Ext Cab? i'm unsure if they have rusty brake lines or if your brake fluid is low.

i have a 2001 so i'm unaware of what upgrades happened in those 2 yr
Old May 9th, 2019, 6:47 PM
CF Beginner

yes I had brakes and no I'm not a beginner, its just I have slowed down in working on my own vehicles except for minor things. I used to rebuild engines, replace transmissions, etc..etc..its just I'm trying to diagnose some on my own before I give up and send it to a garage. Thanks for the advise.
Old May 9th, 2019, 6:48 PM
CF Beginner

thanks for advice Ill let you know what I found.