Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Horn not working, replaced steering wheel horn contact, still no horn, clock spring!!

Search this Thread

Old January 5th, 2022, 4:43 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Horn not working, replaced steering wheel horn contact, still no horn, clock spring!!

I have a 2001 Chevy Silverado, 4x4, 4.8 liter K1500.
My horn stopped working when pushing on the air bag. It works once out of 50 tries, nightmare. I did research and everything pointed to replacing the steering wheel horn contact. I purchased a Dorman 924-089 steering wheel horn contact, installed it, no better. Than I cleaned the copper pieces that are screwed to the steering wheel which is where the horn contact makes contact with the copper pieces which then sends the signal to the spring that plugs into the clock spring...
Well, that didn't work for shxt!
So yes, I know, I need to replace the clock spring. Good times.
Has anyone tried to re-position their old clock spring? Is that even an option? Will replacing the clock spring resolve the horn issue?
I have tested both horns on the truck multiple times and they work perfectly.
Any help would be awesome!! Not sure where to buy a clock spring, I won't buy a used one on Ebay, thats a waste of money.
Thank you
Booth
Old January 5th, 2022, 10:40 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

You can purchase a new clockspring from rockauto.com for just under $128 plus shipping. You can find the listing for the clockspring under the Interior Section.

Good Luck!
Old January 6th, 2022, 5:17 AM
CF Beginner

Ok great. Thank you. Do you know if the new click spring already comes ready to install or does it need to be set by turning the unit one way, than another way as the sticker says on the unit? Thx again!!
Old January 6th, 2022, 11:50 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

That I cannot answer.

Good Luck!
The following users liked this post:
awbooth (January 7th, 2022)
Old January 8th, 2022, 1:40 PM
CF Beginner

Ok everyone! First off thx for all your responses. Appreciate you all.

I have the solution which is going to be hard to believe but it worked.

Disconnect the battery. Wait 15 minutes. Remove the air bag, tricky as you need a flat blade screwdriver to move the horn contact mechanisms, 2 latches behind the steering wheel releases the airbag. Unplug airbag, sit to the side in a safe place.

Remove the red horn contact wire that plugs through the steering wheel clockspring area. Remove center nut, use steering wheel puller, remove steering wheel. Remove upper and lower column covers. Remove the 2 torx screws holding down the multipurpose turn signal mechanism. Clean the brass plunger ring that bounces in and out of the back of turn signal mechanism. This plunger rides on the back of a GREEN RING which has a brass plate going around the back of the entire clockspring location. Clean the brass ring that sits behind the clockspring. Use electric grease on the brass ring. Now you have 2 choices. You can purchase a new signal /wiper/ cruise control mechanism as the new part will come with a new brass plunger which is NOT worn down from years of getting worn down every single time you turn your wheel, OR.. you can apply a small dab of solder on the tip of that brass plunger, carefully install the signal arm bag on the column and gently pressing the brass plunger(with new solder on the tip)behind the brass circle plate, re-install the torx screws, re-install everything in reverse. The horn works perfectly every time now!!!!!!!

Couple things to consider as well. You should replace the 2 horn contact leads that mount to the steering wheel as the red springy part does get dirty and wears out. I initially thought that was the problem but replacing it didn't work. However you have everything apart so you might as well replace them.

I have taken in consideration the spot of solder I applied to the brass tab/plunger will wear down over time but I really don't give a ******. The point is... it's fixed! On to the next project.....
Old January 15th, 2022, 3:20 PM
CF Active Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's my experience:

#1 if you take off the cap insure you follow procedure for enabling / disabling AIR BAG. end of discussion there.

Mine was intermittent: worked sometimes, other times just a little or none. I tested then replaced one of two horns (note it takes TWO for you to hear it - if only one spins you can't hear it unless the other also spins - on many (older) cars). Still intermittent. I check steering column. with cover off operated by hand was "more reliable" still a little intermittent. And as time went by increasingly intermittent where i wouldn't pass inspection.

#2 I did some wiring to add a dial - the break-out box under the brake. I FOUND A LOOSE GROUND and generally poor job with wire inserterted in that wire-jumper box.

It seems like after that the horn worked 100% since. I cannot obviously confirm that fixed it. I'd fixed other things and cleaned many grounds on other jobs.

LESSON: don't blame the column switch too quickly. It's difficult to replace, expensive, and may very well NOT be your problem.

Last edited by 2001 chevy silverado; January 15th, 2022 at 3:23 PM.
The following users liked this post:
awbooth (January 16th, 2022)