Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Interior Roof Leak

Search this Thread

Old February 6th, 2020, 8:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior Roof Leak

I'm back with more news about the elusive leak! The past few weeks I have been extremely sick with mono, having no time to work on the truck, meaning she has been sitting for around 2 weeks with a large tarp over her, covering the roof and the hood. This was initially done because I thought water was leaking somewhere in the cowl, even after I checked and resealed a spot. Today was the first day I have been well enough to drive her, and while driving I saw water leaking from my roof center console. After taking off the console, along with the light in the backseat, I saw tons of water on the roof along with what I think is mold-ew.

I am planning this weekend to take down my entire headliner, to try and find the leak. This water has to be two weeks old, because the truck has been covered with a tarp. I am hoping for any tips of common spots for this type of leak. Some background, I did at one point try and take off the third brake light to reseal it. Unfortunately one of the screws is so rusted I had no luck getting it off. The third brake light has been covered with duct tape (as shown in picture) for the past month or so. What other places could it be? I will find this leak if it is the death of me.

Included are pictures through the center console and of the third brake light. Any thoughts or comments are much appreciated! I find this stuff very interesting to learn, and I want to fix this on my own in my spare time. Thank you!

-Allie
Old February 7th, 2020, 5:25 AM
CF Monarch

Received 263 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by chevygirl2020
I'm back with more news about the elusive leak! The past few weeks I have been extremely sick with mono, having no time to work on the truck, meaning she has been sitting for around 2 weeks with a large tarp over her, covering the roof and the hood. This was initially done because I thought water was leaking somewhere in the cowl, even after I checked and resealed a spot. Today was the first day I have been well enough to drive her, and while driving I saw water leaking from my roof center console. After taking off the console, along with the light in the backseat, I saw tons of water on the roof along with what I think is mold-ew.

I am planning this weekend to take down my entire headliner, to try and find the leak. This water has to be two weeks old, because the truck has been covered with a tarp. I am hoping for any tips of common spots for this type of leak. Some background, I did at one point try and take off the third brake light to reseal it. Unfortunately one of the screws is so rusted I had no luck getting it off. The third brake light has been covered with duct tape (as shown in picture) for the past month or so. What other places could it be? I will find this leak if it is the death of me.

Included are pictures through the center console and of the third brake light. Any thoughts or comments are much appreciated! I find this stuff very interesting to learn, and I want to fix this on my own in my spare time. Thank you!

-Allie
Might have to RV sealant the whole area at the third brake light
Old February 7th, 2020, 8:31 AM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

if you have moisture inside of the cab it will evaporate and collect on the roof. so even if you fix the leak you have to get that moisture out of there. one thing i did was turn the heater on full blast and crack the windows a little after the heater has ran for some time. the heater will also collect some moisture, but make sure its dry out when you do it