Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Water Leak from under Dashboard

Search this Thread

Old January 24th, 2020, 1:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Water Leak from under Dashboard

This water leak has consumed my life. Thank you for all the responses on my previous posts about the leak! A couple days ago I took off the cowl, and did find one part of the seal where rain water drips from the windshield that was old and got spongey when water was on it. Thinking this was the spot, I applied a sealant, dried it, and replaced the cowl and wipers. Drove home happy, thinking I finally found the leak, but the next day after a downpour guess what showed back up? Now I am left wondering whats next to check. I have gotten help saying to check my AC condenser, which I think is my next step. Included is a video showing where the leak is coming from in the dashboard, note the sigh of disappointment. Any suggestions on the spot after seeing the video?

For new viewers, I have checked my vapor barrier on the driver side, my third brake light, used compressed air to check my windshield -no leaks- and recently checked under the cowl.

I love learning all this new stuff and find it honestly very fun. The not so fun part is being unable to drive when its pouring without getting a ton of water on my drivers side floorboard. I need to fix this leak ASAP, as I need my truck for day to day life in college.

Thank you!!!!
Allie
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_1606.mov (3.16 MB, 489 views)
Old January 24th, 2020, 4:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Worked a couple months to find the seam leak in my 93 Suburban. I mounted a blower (like used for drying floors) to one window and poured soapy water all over the car. Sure enough, bubbles formed over the firewall seam adjacent to the passenger door. When I hit that area with the hose it reproduced the leak. Just looking at it you would never have suspected a leak. After scraping & cleaning the area it was easy to see the water intrusion path. Pro tip: When you think you have the problem area identified, you should be able to reproduce the leak with a hose. Then when repaired, do not put things back together until hose test shows no more leak.
The following 4 users liked this post by Rednucleus:
chevygirl2020 (February 6th, 2020), oilcanhenry (January 24th, 2020), rtamcfhgol (May 30th, 2020), therewolf (June 1st, 2020)
Old May 30th, 2020, 10:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also narrowed down to similar seam leak inside my cowl (with hose testing). what sealant you used? did you remove all the seam sealant and redone fully or only the section you had leak? I see the sealant almost 1 inch high blob, what material helps to do that?

also, was the mounted blower forcing air inside the babin, which was creating bubble in cowl seam?

thanks a lot
Old May 30th, 2020, 10:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 557 Posts

@rtamcfhgol

why don't you start a new topic for yourself. Describe your vehicle. Snap a few pics of the leak. Mention the steps you tried. You'll get much better help than resurrecting old topics.
The following 2 users liked this post by mountainmanjoe:
rtamcfhgol (May 31st, 2020), therewolf (June 1st, 2020)
Old May 30th, 2020, 10:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

I mounted the blower outside driver's side window so pressurizing the vehicle interior. Then poured soapy water all over front of rig to find leaks.
Dug out old sealant with a pick and cleaned to bare metal with wire wheel. Used 3M Ultrapro Sealant #08300 and painted when dry.
LOL had several interested neighbors watching the blower operation as every wheatherstrip on the car was blowing lovely soap bubbles.
The following users liked this post:
rtamcfhgol (May 31st, 2020)