1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Leaf Spring Selection

Search this Thread

Old October 8th, 2022 | 1:39 PM
CF Beginner

Default Leaf Spring Selection

So, I am finally starting my project truck. I've removed the bed and have identified that I need a leaf spring due to a crack near where the bolt is at the back of the spring. I also need a bracket for the back of the drivers side. I am going to replace both springs; however, I am having a hard time finding the correct spring.

The truck is a 2001 Silverado 1500 4wd extended cab 96 inch bed. I seem to be able to find leaf springs for the short beds all over the place, but none for the long beds. RockAuto appears to have promising options, but I am concerned about ordering springs that appear to have the correct specifications, but don't work out when I get them.

So, my question is what brand of leaf springs do you guys like? Also, any idea where I can find leaf springs for the long beds? The goal for the truck is to be lifted 4 inches a Rough Country lift so I'm not terrible interested in getting anything much heavier than factory. (the truck is a toy, I'm not terribly concerned about ride quality and such).

Thank you!
Old July 31st, 2023 | 10:06 PM
CF Beginner

Not SD truck springs. Read google reviews first
Old August 3rd, 2023 | 4:45 PM
CF Active Member

you can't jack your truck up with leaf springs. but they might send you springs that are IMPOSSIBLE FOR YOU TO INSTALL. you need to check dimensions carefully. watch some youtubes on replacing after-market leaf springs and put your ear to the railroad track about "problems to avoid" (problemed installation)

A beefier leaf can hold more weight, but the rest of the truck cannot. But you can't confirm what (china) is selling you if it's more beefy or worse and just heavier. (metalurgy). nor can you say if GM isn't ordering replacements from china.

A softer leaf would be more comfortable ride maybe softer on your shocks - but might bottom out if you have 1/2 ton in the bed.

i think your shocks are connected to the axel, while your leaf spring is also connected to the axel + frame rail

(in my opinion your fine with the OEM specs and are best off getting one that fits right and has the same mating surfaces for easier installation)