Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

need code reader education....

Search this Thread

Old December 14th, 2020, 10:04 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need code reader education....

Do the red icons mean something is wrong? I don't have any current codes Help me understand....
Old December 14th, 2020, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

I/M or inspection maintenance monitors are system tests the module master runs to determine if a system fault that effects emissions has occurred.
these monitors will have 3 possible status. pass, fail or not completed
when you clear dtc in the pcm all these monitors reset and will show a not completed status. As you drive and the conditions are met for the monitor to run, they will pass or fail. if they fail you get a dtc. I assume with your scan tool the green means those monitors have r un and passed. the red have not completed testing.
The following users liked this post:
baarf (December 14th, 2020)
Old December 14th, 2020, 10:52 AM
CF Beginner

So I need to drive it. I did just reset after replacing the vacuum thingy under the hood. Then after trying to learn about the scanner I saw these.
Thank you!
Old December 15th, 2020, 7:34 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by baarf
So I need to drive it. I did just reset after replacing the vacuum thingy under the hood. Then after trying to learn about the scanner I saw these.
Thank you!
Yes drive it, you will find that stop and go traffic or city driving will get the monitors set more quickly then just one long highway drive.
Old December 17th, 2020, 8:18 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Easiest way to get all the monitors to turn green is to drive around with a half a tank of gas and be sure and start with a cold engine. One or more of the tests needs to be able to pull a slight vacuum in the gas tank and maintain it for a short period of time. Quickest way to make sure that test is run and completed is by driving around with a half a tank of gas or less.

It took me several months of driving around and going to the emissions testing station and getting come back in 14 - 30 day waivers before I discovered that it was my keeping the gas tank full that was the root cause. As soon as I stopped filling up whenever the gas gauge was between 1/4 - 1/2 down, it passed.
Old December 23rd, 2020, 9:20 AM
CF Beginner

I did drive it and all but one of the red dots turned green. Now I just need to chase down what EV means.
Old December 23rd, 2020, 9:51 AM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

I did drive it and all but one of the red dots turned green. Now I just need to chase down what EV means.
It's evap. Simple things first, check gas cap, could be egr (exhaust gas recirculation) valve.
The following users liked this post:
baarf (December 23rd, 2020)
Old December 23rd, 2020, 9:55 AM
CF Beginner

No EGR this model. Could be gas cap. It doesn't seem to screw on right. I will start there
Thank you!
Old December 23rd, 2020, 10:02 AM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

No EGR this model. Could be gas cap. It doesn't seem to screw on right. I will start there
Thank you!
My gas cap (Lumina, and 03 suburban) has an O ring seal, check on yours, I replaced one because the O ring had several cracks
Old December 23rd, 2020, 8:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

there is no fault yet as the test have not run. the conditions for the test to complete has not occurred yet. depending on your model...the evaporative emissions monitor may not run in cold temps. So you may not get a pass or fail until spring. This is why emission test facilities give evap a conditional pass.

Quick Reply: need code reader education....