Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

New Heads Leaking Coolant Externally?!?

Search this Thread

Old January 6th, 2018, 7:24 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Heads Leaking Coolant Externally?!?

I bought my 95' Silverado with the TBI 350 engine with 227K. Of course I was told it was in great shape and blah blah. Well I drive 4 hours to pick it up and it has a misfire, wife tells me to just buy it and bring it home. Long story short, it needs at least the passenger side head. Cracked head and burned valves. I buy some used 60K 191 heads and clean them up. Lap and check valves and guides, all great. Clean mating surfaces and install them. I used a Fle-pro head gasket kit and torqued hardware properly and in stages.

I find that now in the colder, I'd say Sub 32 degree weather Northern Virginia is having that I'm getting a very small coolant leak. The coolant is leaking from around the head gasket. Where the head and the block meet. It seems to be on both banks. Its very very mild, but very frustrating. I've driven it several hundred miles without having to top off coolant. So its seepage more than anything. I rechecked torque and actually set it from 65lbs to 72Lbs. I'd hate to use stop leak but at this point I really don't want to take the heads off and have them machined which I should have had done in the first place.

Any suggestions? The coolant appears to only be leaking externally and no coolant can be noticed on he dipstick. P.S - I'm a mechanic by trade, so I understand the general mechanics, however I am new to Chevy and trucks in general.

All the information I can get would be appreciated, Thanks a lot!!
Old January 6th, 2018, 8:16 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevinfoxrpm
I bought my 95' Silverado with the TBI 350 engine with 227K. Of course I was told it was in great shape and blah blah. Well I drive 4 hours to pick it up and it has a misfire, wife tells me to just buy it and bring it home. Long story short, it needs at least the passenger side head. Cracked head and burned valves. I buy some used 60K 191 heads and clean them up. Lap and check valves and guides, all great. Clean mating surfaces and install them. I used a Fle-pro head gasket kit and torqued hardware properly and in stages.

I find that now in the colder, I'd say Sub 32 degree weather Northern Virginia is having that I'm getting a very small coolant leak. The coolant is leaking from around the head gasket. Where the head and the block meet. It seems to be on both banks. Its very very mild, but very frustrating. I've driven it several hundred miles without having to top off coolant. So its seepage more than anything. I rechecked torque and actually set it from 65lbs to 72Lbs. I'd hate to use stop leak but at this point I really don't want to take the heads off and have them machined which I should have had done in the first place.

Any suggestions? The coolant appears to only be leaking externally and no coolant can be noticed on he dipstick. P.S - I'm a mechanic by trade, so I understand the general mechanics, however I am new to Chevy and trucks in general.

All the information I can get would be appreciated, Thanks a lot!!
I dont know if you have tried K&N Block Sealer, but I have and it worked real well. Unfortunately it cant be used with anti-freeze, until its sets up inside the engine. Plain water and a good HOT long time run and you can dump the water and add the antifreeze.