Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Rear wheel bearing hub on driver side going out

Search this Thread

Old November 18th, 2019, 11:15 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear wheel bearing hub on driver side going out

Hi all,
my 2005 Chevy Silverado 1500 z71 off-road truck started making a whining noise at 35-40 mph while in Dallas this past weekend, I’m wondering how to replace the wheel bearing hub on my truck
Old November 18th, 2019, 5:13 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by 05chevysilverado
Hi all,
my 2005 Chevy Silverado 1500 z71 off-road truck started making a whining noise at 35-40 mph while in Dallas this past weekend, I’m wondering how to replace the wheel bearing hub on my truck
Get area as clean as you can. Disconnect all the wires going to hub area. Remove the brake and parts. Remove the center hub nut and the three bolts holding wheel bearing hub on..Try to remove by hand, if not it will require force like a plastic-faced hammer or similar to remove hub. Grease new hub surface and install hub, and reverse from there.
Old November 18th, 2019, 5:18 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
Get area as clean as you can. Disconnect all the wires going to hub area. Remove the brake and parts. Remove the center hub nut and the three bolts holding wheel bearing hub on..Try to remove by hand, if not it will require force like a plastic-faced hammer or similar to remove hub. Grease new hub surface and install hub, and reverse from there.
I have drum brakes on the rear and are not disk brakes
Old November 18th, 2019, 11:26 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by 05chevysilverado
I have drum brakes on the rear and are not disk brakes
My apologies for that mistake.

First remove wheels and drum brake.You'll need to drain and open up your rear differential cover, remove the axle shaft "C" clip. Then you slide the axle shaft out and make sure it looks okay,

Any damage (twisted, broken or worn splines, ect) you'll have to replace it, Then you can pull it out, but if the brake shoes are still on you must not allow axle fluid to contact them. Cover with plastic-wrap will work Then you pull the axle seal off, and use a bearing remover to pull the bearing out. You can likely rent these tools at an auto parts store. Then you clean up the mating surface and apply some lubricant to the new bearing, and carefully pound it back in with an installment tool or a proper sized large socket in a rotating manner until it seats.

You must get it in as straight as you can. Then you put the new lubed bearing seal in, using a tool made for that or if necessary a very hard plastic hammer can be used but it takes some skill to to that and pounding directly on the seal isn't good so you will need to use wood, plastic or other material to drive it home if a steel hammer.

Then you put some lube on the axle shaft and slide that in place, install the "C" clip in the differential, reinstall the axle cover and fill with the proper recommended fluid or gear oil. then reinstall everything else in reverse order. Good time to replace your drum brakes if they need it too.