Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Roaring sound from under the front of the truck.

Search this Thread

Old August 24th, 2017, 1:34 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Roaring sound from under the front of the truck.

I have a roaring sound coming from under the front of the truck. The sound is prominent on the driver's side . It sounds like a truck with big mud tires coming down the road. I thought was the driver's side hub. I replaced it last night and the sound still remains. I have another hub for the passenger side and will replace it as soon as possible. Any ideas as to what the problem is.
Old August 24th, 2017, 2:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Does it do it while in park, at idle? You may have an issue with the belts or pulleys.
If it only happens when you are moving, it may be something caught on a drive
shaft.
Old August 24th, 2017, 3:00 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by therewolf
Does it do it while in park, at idle? You may have an issue with the belts or pulleys.
If it only happens when you are moving, it may be something caught on a drive
shaft.
No it only does while driving. The drive shaft is clear.
Old October 15th, 2017, 1:39 AM
MWR
CF Beginner

Check the other hub for any play. It was my right front hub but it sounded like it was on the left side.
Old October 15th, 2017, 9:17 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

if its a growling that sounds like a bearing but the sound is constant when turning left and right at speed...it could be irregular tire wear....check for feather edge/saw tooth wear patterns on the inner and or outer edge of the tires.

if the sound is more like a jet turbine and occurs only in 1st gear...do you have a 4l80E trans?
Old November 28th, 2017, 7:21 PM
CF Beginner

Presuming your noise is the same as my noise.....

The first time I heard 'this' noise I panicked. I bought my Silverado to tow a 5th wheeler. We hadn't had it long but had done about 500km in it already (bought it another state), with no symptoms other than no aircon. We had just collected the van and were motoring sedately up the highway when about 20 minutes into the trip there cam this ear splitting roar from somewhere under the hood.. Man, it was so loud we (the missus and me) had to shout to hear each other talk. What a roar. It didn't last long, about 5 minutes, but came and went intermittently during this trip as well as during several other trips later.

It didn't seem to effect the truck or the driving, just noise. I eventually asked my service guys what it might be.
Answer, so obvious to those with regular contact with big diesels... the temperature controlled fan.
Even now that I know what it is, it still bugs me when the fan starts up, usually on warmer days and particularly on longer trips and through the hills.

So, don't despair, just turn up the radio and/or buy ear plugs.
Old November 29th, 2017, 3:54 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

A radiator fan makes a "roaring" sound? Just how big is this fan?
Old November 29th, 2017, 4:23 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by therewolf
A radiator fan makes a "roaring" sound? Just how big is this fan?
The fan is about 12-15" dia. I think. If you have never been exposed to this wonderous sonic experience, you need to.

Find an early (1999-2007) model Silverado, 2500HD or 3500HD, (diesel of course), go for a ride on a hot day, about 30-50 miles or so should do it. You will need to have it do some work though, an empty truck won't get hot enough, these things are too robust and have too much grunt to show any signs of exertion with light duties. Fill the tub with rocks or hitch 2-3 other trucks to the tow bar and go for a run.