Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Rough idle only when engine is warm

Search this Thread

Old September 22nd, 2022, 8:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough idle only when engine is warm

I own a 2001 Silverado 1500 LS extended cab with the 5.3 v8 drives fine no lights on, but when you sit idle after its been running and the engine is warm the truck will shake and fill like its going to die out. when you give it gas it sound like its bubbling then when you drive it again it clears itself back out.

I have taken it to the mechanic, they could never get it to act up for them. They put 150miles on it trying to get it to do it again but it wouldn’t. I have replaced my vent solenoid, purge canister valve, my fuel pressure sensor, my charcoal canister. All the mechanic told me to do as most of them are inexpensive. When I replaced those I had a check engine light with codes for a random misfire, high fuel pressure, and a I forget the other one but was for the fuel vent system. Now there is no codes. Truck drives fine until I sit at a light to long, or park it that’s when after some time it starts to bog and like it’s starving for fuel. Today the battery voltage dropped from about 16 to 14 while it was having the bad idle and my ac stopped blowing cold. So I shut it off for like 5 minutes and started it and bam was just fine again. I couldn’t wait for it to do it again because I had to go back to work. But that’s why I’ve come here to see if anyone else has had this issue because I’m just at a stand still with it now.
Old September 23rd, 2022, 2:10 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

You need to do 2 things. One, find out what the fuel pressure is. If you do not have a fuel injection system pressure gauge, you can get a loaner from O'Reilly, Autozone or Advance Auto parts for leaving a deposit. The factory spec for fuel pressure is 55 - 62 psi.

Two, check the operation of the fuel pressure regulator. If fuel runs out when you remove the vacuum line, then the internal diaphragm has ruptured and the fuel pressure regulator needs to be replaced.

Good Luck!