Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Run with no front diff?

Search this Thread

Old June 10th, 2019, 8:55 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Run with no front diff?

Running a 01 chevy 2500hd 6.0l & I need to do some diff work. Im needing to remove the front diff to inspect it & do some upgrades to it (selectable locker) but dont have the coin to fix it atm but it needs to come out, shes fubar. I've already removed the driveshaft & most of the axle shafts so the diff isn't spinning. Is it possible to run the truck without the diff in place for the time being? Shes my daily
Old June 11th, 2019, 1:38 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Ballsdeepner
Running a 01 chevy 2500hd 6.0l & I need to do some diff work. Im needing to remove the front diff to inspect it & do some upgrades to it (selectable locker) but dont have the coin to fix it atm but it needs to come out, shes fubar. I've already removed the driveshaft & most of the axle shafts so the diff isn't spinning. Is it possible to run the truck without the diff in place for the time being? Shes my daily
Most likely so, as I cant think of a good reason. This is one reason why I liked manual locking hubs. Have an issue like this, keep the hubs unlocked.

Last edited by oilcanhenry; June 11th, 2019 at 12:13 PM.
Old June 11th, 2019, 9:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

no..the axles shaft must be in place to tension the sealed hub and bearing assembly....just rolling the truck with the axle shaft removed will damage them. its not drivable until its fixed. I don't think the 2wd hub and spindles will transfer either.