Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Sell, rebuild, or drive it till it's dead?

Search this Thread

Old June 15th, 2019, 10:19 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sell, rebuild, or drive it till it's dead?

I have a 2004 Silverado LWB V6 work truck with 185,000 miles. This is a no frills truck, but it's got an AM and FM radio and cold air blows out the holes. It needs a little cosmetic work, but I'd like some advice before I put any money into it. I could go out and pay cash for a new truck, but me and my wife like to save money as much as possible (hence the money in the bank). My choices are:
  1. Sell it at some point before something major breaks, while it still has some value. If I do this I'd choose a Colorado, Frontier, or a Tacoma.
  2. Put a couple of grand into it to spruce it up. I have a friend that has a restoration shop... Paint wheels, hood, roof, new lights, etc.. Then, when the motor or transmission go out I'll pay someone to install a new/rebuilt set and continue to drive it for many years.
  3. Spend as little as possible and junk it when the motor or transmission fail.
Back in the day, option 2 made sense, but I'm not sure if that's the case anymore with all the electronics and all....
Please let me know what you think, and thanks for taking the time to reply.

Old June 15th, 2019, 12:09 PM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

I don't what the truck looks like but if you are ok with it, drive it the way it is and save the money. When something breaks then fix it. If it has been taken care of in the past then it should be good for many more miles.
Old June 15th, 2019, 2:26 PM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

the beginning of this year i traded in my 02 with something like 250k miles on it for a 2010 with only 70k. the 02 was a work truck and i loved it but the front dif needed to be worked or or replaced, needed shocks, ac work, heater work and a few other things but was only a ext cab. the kids needed more leg room, so i had to get a crew cab. if they didnt need the leg room i would of fixed the issues on the truck and kept on trucking.
Old June 15th, 2019, 3:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 553 Posts

It depends on if:

- Its your only vehicle, and especially if you depend on it for income, then without a doubt Option #1
- It's a secondary vehicle, then Option #3.

If it's not a classic or collectible car there's no sense in restoration.