Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

service 4WD light on dash, switch malfunctioning

Search this Thread

Old November 11th, 2019, 11:42 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default service 4WD light on dash, switch malfunctioning

Hey guys, new here and looking for some help. I have a 2006 Silverado 5.3L 4wd crew cab that I've been battling with. It started with the check 4wd dash message and the truck starting in 4 low at random times. Sometimes it lets me put it in 2wd like normal and sometimes I have to cut the truck off and restart it several times. When it does work the buttons work like they're supposed to then suddenly I'll be in 4wd and no lights will be lit on the dash switch.

I started googling and the first issue I found to try was the transfer case control module under the dash. Although expensive I have a friend and got one pretty cheap and swapped them. Easy job but didn't fix anything. So I did some more research and found a very common problem was the ground wires losing ground on the frame because of some coating. Most people sanded the points on the frame to bare metal and the 4wd worked correctly again. Well, mine didn't..... so that leaves the dash switch itself. Only thing left that it could be since the transfer case motor and actuator work fine when the switches work. So I just replaced the entire switch and started the truck. It lit up like it's supposed to at start up but then I had nothing. No lights are lit and nothing happens when I push the buttons for 4 high, 4 low or anything.

I'm no mechanic but I'm trying to save all I can to keep this old hunting truck going. Does anyone have any experience with this and could give me a direction to go. I'm dumbfounded to say the least!!!!!!

Thanks,

Ned
Old November 11th, 2019, 3:01 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed133
Hey guys, new here and looking for some help. I have a 2006 Silverado 5.3L 4wd crew cab that I've been battling with. It started with the check 4wd dash message and the truck starting in 4 low at random times. Sometimes it lets me put it in 2wd like normal and sometimes I have to cut the truck off and restart it several times. When it does work the buttons work like they're supposed to then suddenly I'll be in 4wd and no lights will be lit on the dash switch.

I started googling and the first issue I found to try was the transfer case control module under the dash. Although expensive I have a friend and got one pretty cheap and swapped them. Easy job but didn't fix anything. So I did some more research and found a very common problem was the ground wires losing ground on the frame because of some coating. Most people sanded the points on the frame to bare metal and the 4wd worked correctly again. Well, mine didn't..... so that leaves the dash switch itself. Only thing left that it could be since the transfer case motor and actuator work fine when the switches work. So I just replaced the entire switch and started the truck. It lit up like it's supposed to at start up but then I had nothing. No lights are lit and nothing happens when I push the buttons for 4 high, 4 low or anything.

I'm no mechanic but I'm trying to save all I can to keep this old hunting truck going. Does anyone have any experience with this and could give me a direction to go. I'm dumbfounded to say the least!!!!!!

Thanks,

Ned
Likely your TCCM Transfer Case Control Module might have gone south. Here is a link to Amazon, but you can buy one all manner of places:

https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-89017750-Equipment-Powertrain-Remanufactured/dp/B000JZA77W/ref=sr_1_11?keywords=transfer+case+control+module&qid=1573505948&refinements=p_89%3AACDelco&rnid=2528832011&s=automotive&sr=1-11&vehicle=2006-47-491-430-31--9-8--2296-8-2-145-118-5&vehicleName=2006+Chevrolet+Silverado+1500 https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-89017750-Equipment-Powertrain-Remanufactured/dp/B000JZA77W/ref=sr_1_11?keywords=transfer+case+control+module&qid=1573505948&refinements=p_89%3AACDelco&rnid=2528832011&s=automotive&sr=1-11&vehicle=2006-47-491-430-31--9-8--2296-8-2-145-118-5&vehicleName=2006+Chevrolet+Silverado+1500
Old November 11th, 2019, 6:09 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
Likely your TCCM Transfer Case Control Module might have gone south. Here is a link to Amazon, but you can buy one all manner of places:

https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-89017...Silverado+1500

That's new, just replaced a couple weeks ago. Before installing new switches I at least had an amber light beside on of the 4wd options even if it was 4 low. After installing new switches I get no amber light beside any button and pushing them gets nothing. Put old switches back in and still no amber light beside any button.
Old November 11th, 2019, 6:49 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

That's new, just replaced a couple weeks ago. Before installing new switches I at least had an amber light beside on of the 4wd options even if it was 4 low. After installing new switches I get no amber light beside any button and pushing them gets nothing. Put old switches back in and still no amber light beside any button.
Is it possible that your TC shift motor isnt working? Cay you hear any noise if its working?
Old April 2nd, 2024, 1:47 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks,

Ned
have you ever figured out your problem? I have the same one now and need help
Old April 2nd, 2024, 3:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 614 Likes on 555 Posts

@Hewlett Ned hasn't visited the forum in 5 years and probably won't reply. Instead of reviving old topics, please post a new thread with your vehicle details , symptoms, and the troubleshooting you tried. You should also try oilcanhenry's suggestion. Thanks.

Last edited by mountainmanjoe; April 2nd, 2024 at 3:47 PM.