Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.
Old July 23rd, 2015, 4:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

Silverado Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old February 28th, 2010, 9:45 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repair Details

Knarva,
sorry for not knowing much detail concerning the actual repairs as I didn't ask them what the repair involved. I stayed in the service dept. waiting room while the truck was in the repair shop portion of the dealership. The next time I'm out there for oil change I will ask the service manager if he knows what the repair involves, since he did work as repair shop manager for the past 10 years before moving up front.

While they did the service work I also had them clean the injectors which made a big difference in engine performance. The cost for this service was $150 dollars, and again I don't know what they did for this. Maybe just put a can of cleaner in the tank..?
Old September 27th, 2010, 2:41 PM
CF Beginner

OK. So the CEL on my 2005 Silverado keeps coming back on (Code P0446). I have replaced the cannister vent solenoid (twice) and the fuel tank pressure sensor. No matter what, after about 800 miles the CEL comes back on and I get a .010 pressure reading from the computer. It should clear to 0. I hear this is a common problem with the 05 Sliverado 1500 4.8L. Anyone have a solution? Got to get an inspection soon and the CEL needs to be off.
Old October 5th, 2010, 9:07 PM
CF Beginner

dont know if this helps but my light would come on if i put gas in my truck while it was running. turn it off
Old October 6th, 2010, 4:50 AM
CF Beginner

New problem. My 06 Chev. p/u has about 40k miles. I have the dreaded CEC come on once in a while. I have usually fixed it by disconnecting the battery for a few hours and then reconnecting it and it goes away.. Also I have checked the gas cap too. Yesterday same problem... Disconnected the battery and left it over night... This morning, the truck will NOT start.. All lights and bells work, truck almost starts, but won't. Not sure what this is.Any help ???
Old October 6th, 2010, 7:02 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Rob A.
New problem. My 06 Chev. p/u has about 40k miles. I have the dreaded CEC come on once in a while. I have usually fixed it by disconnecting the battery for a few hours and then reconnecting it and it goes away.. Also I have checked the gas cap too. Yesterday same problem... Disconnected the battery and left it over night... This morning, the truck will NOT start.. All lights and bells work, truck almost starts, but won't. Not sure what this is.Any help ???
You should only have to disconnect your battery for about 10 seconds to reset the computer.

Have you checked if your getting fuel? Your vehicle not starting and the check engine light could possibly not be related just a coincidence.
Old October 15th, 2010, 8:56 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the code help
Old December 11th, 2010, 12:00 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2006 Chevrolet Silverado "fuel vent solenoid" code P0455

I own a 2006 Chevrolet Silverado. I had the fuel cap loose warning on the instrument panel twice before the engine light came on. The cap appeared in good order and I tried reseting the engine light by disconnecting the battery with no success. I took the truck into the GM dealer and they diagnosed it as needing a "fuel vent solenoid" code P0455. It took about two hours to replace and the bill was $439.60
Old December 12th, 2010, 5:35 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I finally ended up bringing it to my local mechanic and we changed out the solenoid about 2 weeks ago. We also did check the old one with the smoke test and it was obvious it was leaking so I feel confident we have fixed the problem going forward.
Old December 20th, 2010, 6:48 AM
CF Beginner

Dudes, this was an easy fix for me on my '05. The new solonoid is different in that it has an extra outlet that connects to a purge vent. The old one just had an inlet with no way for it to vent, looks like the updated part is improved. Had to use some new hose to connect the new parts from the factory clip connector back. Tucked everything nicely in the frame rail to keep it protected. Fixed in about an hour for $40.00.
Old March 10th, 2011, 8:57 AM
CF Beginner

Default I have a constant random misfire code P0300

I have changed out my spark plugs, changed the oil & filter and the master air flow sensor and still have a P0300. What can I do?

Quick Reply: Silverado Check Engine Light