Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Thinking of buying used 04 Silverado

Search this Thread

Old July 16th, 2017, 8:07 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of buying used 04 Silverado

I'm looking at buying a used 04 Silverado with 122k miles on it, I'm hoping it get a lot of use out of it. However, I am very worried about rust. The vehicle doesn't seem to have much if any on it right now but I do live in the salt belt so I'm a little anxious that it might turn into a rust bucket a year after I buy it. Also, how are the engines and transmissions in these things? How many miles can I expect to get out of it? Thanks.
Old July 17th, 2017, 7:36 AM
CF Monarch

Received 336 Likes on 317 Posts

You don't mention which engine and transmission are in the truck, but generally they are all very reliable if they have been well maintained. Take the truck somewhere where you can put it on a lift so that you can get a good look at the underside of the truck to look for rust as well as other problems.
Old July 17th, 2017, 2:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oldchevy
You don't mention which engine and transmission are in the truck, but generally they are all very reliable if they have been well maintained. Take the truck somewhere where you can put it on a lift so that you can get a good look at the underside of the truck to look for rust as well as other problems.
5.3L V8, auto 4 speed. I'm really worried about the rockers and cab corners rusting but I've heard rumors that you can maybe replace those if they rust out???
Old July 18th, 2017, 1:52 PM
CF Monarch

Received 336 Likes on 317 Posts

Yes the rockers and cab corners can be replaced. You would have to know how to weld to be able to do it.