Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Ticking noise at times

Search this Thread

Old August 25th, 2021, 7:12 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ticking noise at times

Okay I have a 1999 Chevrolet Silverado. Just recently I have heard a ticking sound sometimes when I'm accelerating but then it will go away. Today I noticed that when that ticking sound was going that the oil pressure gauge would be almost at 0 and then it would pop back up to normal and the ticking sound would go away.

I have no idea where to start on troubleshooting this problem so what do you guys think it is?
Old August 25th, 2021, 8:20 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by motc7777
Okay I have a 1999 Chevrolet Silverado. Just recently I have heard a ticking sound sometimes when I'm accelerating but then it will go away. Today I noticed that when that ticking sound was going that the oil pressure gauge would be almost at 0 and then it would pop back up to normal and the ticking sound would go away.

I have no idea where to start on troubleshooting this problem so what do you guys think it is?
Sounds like an oil pump system issue to me. I wouldn't even drive it until the problem is repaired, Could cost lots of $$ if you do. The ticking sound is likely your lifters not getting oil.
Old August 26th, 2021, 7:39 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
Sounds like an oil pump system issue to me. I wouldn't even drive it until the problem is repaired, Could cost lots of $$ if you do. The ticking sound is likely your lifters not getting oil.
See that's what I thought. For example, a car running low on oil you hear that ticking sometimes, but typically it doesn't go away. This comes and goes and again, just started. It's parked for now.

240K on the engine mileage wise. I assume that the pump is inside the oil pan? Trying to find a schematic. It's a 5.7 V8.

Old August 26th, 2021, 7:44 AM
CF Monarch

Received 343 Likes on 324 Posts

When is the last time you changed the oil and filter? Have you checked the oil level?
Old August 26th, 2021, 7:45 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oldchevy
When is the last time you changed the oil and filter? Have you checked the oil level?
Oil level is good, and it wasn't dirty.

Old August 26th, 2021, 8:01 AM
CF Monarch

Received 343 Likes on 324 Posts

I would remove the oil pan and check for sludge and check the oil pickup for the pump. If it all looks good, I would install a new oil pump since I am already in there.
The following users liked this post:
motc7777 (August 26th, 2021)
Old August 26th, 2021, 8:47 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 92 Likes on 83 Posts

There is a pressure regulating valve in the oil pump assy. Sometimes they get something stuck in them or need to have uneven surfaces smooth out. Would be easier to check that out before diving into a new pump although you still might need to replace the pump body assy.
The following users liked this post:
motc7777 (August 26th, 2021)
Old August 31st, 2021, 10:07 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by hanky
There is a pressure regulating valve in the oil pump assy. Sometimes they get something stuck in them or need to have uneven surfaces smooth out. Would be easier to check that out before diving into a new pump although you still might need to replace the pump body assy.

I had a guy at work who works on engines as a hobby. Said that maybe I should also try a thicker oil, like a Rotella T, but seems like if the pump is having problems with factory recommended oil, then it really would have an issue with thicker or heavier weight. Am I wrong in this line of thinking?
Old September 1st, 2021, 12:37 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

I would check the exhaust manifolds for loose or missing fasteners. Also, check to make sure there are not any cracks in the manifold.
Old September 2nd, 2021, 10:50 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by chem_man
I would check the exhaust manifolds for loose or missing fasteners. Also, check to make sure there are not any cracks in the manifold.

Will do.

I'm also thinking of revisiting the oil. After some research tonight, suggestion is to diagnose the issue and eliminate other things. All of these are good suggestions and I intend to check them out.

As for the oil, I'm going to drain it, take the filter off and cut it open and look inside. If I see a lot of sludge, I'm guessing that is going to be a source of low oil pressure.

Something to note: This is primarily used as a farm truck, so not a daily driver. Since I got it, I have not changed the oil, but I haven't driven it much. Maybe start with the basics?

Quick Reply: Ticking noise at times