Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Truck dies while driving...

Search this Thread

Old November 15th, 2022, 7:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Truck dies while driving...

I have a 2004 Chevy Silverado W/ the Vortec 4.3 V6. I was driving down the road to work and the truck just died. just clicks as if the battery was dead. Used a jump box to get it started again and it worked. Got further down the road the truck dies again. Jump box was useless. it clicked, a loud bang happened then nothing. I take the keys out of the ignition all of the running lights are on as if the truck was still running.
Old November 16th, 2022, 1:45 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Well, it sounds like the battery might be completely discharged. Have the battery charged completely and then load tested to see if it is good or bad - no in between. Also have your alternator checked to make sure that it is properly working. Remember, an alternator is for maintaining a battery's charge, not for charging it. A battery charger is used to charge/recharge a battery.

While you are at it, check to make sure all the battery cable connections are clean and properly tightened.

Good Luck!
Old November 17th, 2022, 12:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 268 Likes on 233 Posts

I agree with chem_man - this sounds like an issue with the charging system. The battery could be shot and draining all the system voltage or the alternator is failing and the battery can only provide power for so long, especially if accessories like the blower motor, radio and wipers are in use.

Most parts stores can bench test alternators and batteries. If the alternator tests bad and the battery is questionable, replace both. A failing battery can burn out a new alternator.

Originally Posted by chem_man
Remember, an alternator is for maintaining a battery's charge, not for charging it.
I’m probably misunderstanding what you’re saying here, but I also try to address what seems like incorrect information when I see it because anything on a message board can be misinterpreted.

I’m not trying to argue - I’m only trying to discuss this for the sake of clarity for anyone who might read it.

The alternator’s primary function is to provide system power when the engine is running.

It’s secondary function is to recharge the battery after the engine is started. If it didn’t do that, batteries would have to be replaced much more frequently.

Under ideal conditions, the battery is recharged within 15-30 minutes depending on the driving conditions. With most vehicles utilizing PCM control on the charging system, the alternator will pump out the most amperage right after startup to recharge the battery, and it will then be tapered off as the PCM detects the battery state of charge.

That said, the ideal way to charge a battery is low amperage over time, but since many drivers aren’t going to spend several hours at a time in the car on a daily basis, the charging amperage has to take place quickly to make sure the car will start the next time.
The following users liked this post:
Rednucleus (November 17th, 2022)
Old November 17th, 2022, 3:07 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by ThatChevyGuy...
I have a 2004 Chevy Silverado W/ the Vortec 4.3 V6. I was driving down the road to work and the truck just died. just clicks as if the battery was dead. Used a jump box to get it started again and it worked. Got further down the road the truck dies again. Jump box was useless. it clicked, a loud bang happened then nothing. I take the keys out of the ignition all of the running lights are on as if the truck was still running.
Any codes? I have a 96 did the same thing, turned out the ecm was not reading pulse signals to injectors. I only got PO120 maf sensor, that was because the maf wasn't reading air flow since the engine died.
Old November 18th, 2022, 6:28 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Grumby22, all I was meaning about the alternator is that they should not be used to recharge a completely or mostly discharged battery. You are correct in that after starting, the alternator does charge the battery back to a fully charged state within the time period you mentioned. Because today's alternator's are controlled by the ECM, trying to completely charge a nearly discharged battery using the vehicle's alternator could be harmful to the alternator. Thus my stating that an alternator is for maintaining a battery's charge, not for charging it.

Have a great weekend!