Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

99 Silverado - intermittent ABS-Brake lights

Search this Thread

Old November 20th, 2022, 1:14 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Silverado - intermittent ABS-Brake lights

I have a 99 Silverado, 1500, 5.3 liter 2wd. Love the truck, bought new, currently have 195,000 miles on it and pull a car on a flatbed trailer on it all the time. Aside from a steering rack, a fuel and water pump, the truck has been trouble free. That said, I have two trouble/idiot light & gauge problems. I have seen some YouTube videos that suggest they are cluster related. The first is the ABS and Brake lights, they generally come on at the same time, sometimes it takes many miles, but never when the truck is first started. It does seem to be "bump" induced. This problem has been with me for probably 50, 000 miles. I have had a trusted mechanical chase the ABS sensor and he has found no issues. I have seen video's where people point to a chassis ground wire. I have chased this issue and have done every thing I can to make this ground better. The truck is California truck and has seen snow and corrosive elements maybe three times, so there is very little under body corrosion. The second and more recent issue is the fuel gauge. About half the time I drive the truck, the fuel gauge reads empty even when it is full. It triggers the Low fuel light but as I continue to drive, the gauge slow creeps back to full.

Looking to see if other have seen either of these problems and have resolved them.
Old November 20th, 2022, 7:15 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 92 Likes on 83 Posts

Most vehicles have several sheet metal ground wire connections,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,because they do manage to become corroded and still look OK.
Best to remove one at a time , clean it with a wire brush or sandpaper and reinstall it.
There is one that may come right from the battery negative terminal or where the battery negative cable is attached to the engine. If that one is questionable ,all the others won't make any difference.
Old November 20th, 2022, 4:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hanky
Most vehicles have several sheet metal ground wire connections,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,because they do manage to become corroded and still look OK.
Best to remove one at a time , clean it with a wire brush or sandpaper and reinstall it.
There is one that may come right from the battery negative terminal or where the battery negative cable is attached to the engine. If that one is questionable ,all the others won't make any difference.
Thanks, I will take a look again, hadn't spent much time looking at the primary ground from the battery.