1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Truck won’t start weird battery issues

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2020 | 7:15 PM
CF Beginner

Awesome I will try doing that with the Altenator and see what happens than. It is one thing I have not tried yet.
Old May 12th, 2020 | 8:13 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by chem_man
Well, it certainly appears that you have a short someplace. I would remove the positive battery cable to the starter and see what happens. Inspect the entire length of the positive battery cable looking for cracks, rub marks, and burn marks. The other thing you could do would be to remove the starter and bench test it. Also, remove the alternator and have it tested at an auto parts store like NAPA, Autozone, Advanced or O'Reilly to make sure nothing is wrong with it.

By the way when I said to disconnect the alternator from the battery, I meant to remove the heavy red cable from the alternator and not the multiwire plug that goes into the alternator.
Sadly getting my parts to any of those places is a 2 hour drive from where I live! However I like the idea you gave and will try when it stops raining!
Old May 12th, 2020 | 10:31 PM
CF Senior Member

Good luck!
Old May 19th, 2020 | 11:52 AM
CF Beginner

Just wanting to send an update out on this. I tried disconnecting the alternator and firing it up again. And still nothing. Just get a click but won't even attempt to fire.
Old May 20th, 2020 | 6:09 AM
CF Senior Member

If you try and jump the truck with the alternator disconnected from the battery, do the cables get hot like they did in your first posting? If they do, then your starting/charging system has a short in it. Also, try this: using a fully charged battery, connect a voltmeter (digital or analog multimeter) between the ground terminal on the battery and the heavy battery terminal on the starter solenoid and record that reading. Now get a helper to try and start the truck and record that voltage reading. If the voltage drops much below 9.6 volts, then either your battery has one or more bad cells, or your starter is bad. Yes, even brand new or remanufactured starters can be bad out of the box.
Old May 26th, 2020 | 9:23 AM
CF Beginner

So a bit of an update on the Saga of this truck. After messing around all weekend I decided that it would be in my best interest to try out a new battery yet again. Making this the 3rd one that I would attempt. Believe it or not this battery worked this time however a new issue arouse. The truck will not attempt to turn over. But now there isn't any spark to fire it. Any ideas what this might be?